• Register Today It's free!

Coolant Smell

Rodney

Reaction score
City, State
Church HIll,Tn.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I noticed when I pulled in the garage yesterday,I walked in front of truck that smelled some anti-freeze. I poped the hood and looked everywhere,rad,waterpump, freeze plugs,all looked good with no leaks.Even top hose was hard like it was holding good preasure. Just don't know,,Thanks

Check the heater control valve. It's on the passanger side near the firewall. There are 4 hoses running to it and a vac line.

It's a very common leaking problem. I had to replace mine about 3 weeks ago. I could also smell coolant outside the truck.

Forgot to say I replaced the heater control valve a couple of months ago.Water pump weep hole looks not to be leaking,but I'm going to keep checking each time.Hope it is'nt a head gasket problem.Have they (4.0) had a problem with head gaskets before? Has never over heated ,Temp. hand stays about half way when warmed up .Has good hot heat .thanks

Just had the same thing. I didn't see it at first but the thermostat housing joint was seeping just a little. A little RTV, as suggested by this forum fixed it.

Back