• Register Today It's free!

Couple of questions

98 5oh XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Clackamas, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT AWD X "Loki"
And made sure i posted in the right forum!(this time) Ok here is question number 1

Ive got a touch of coolant seepage from where my top radiator hose connects to what i believe to be is my thermostat (Just looked and discovered it was not water pump). not enough to drop onto ground but enough to burn onto the engine when running. the hose is secure and the clamp is tight. What might be causing it? Im hoping no one ran stop leak through this because i have heard that can cause more harm than good. Is it possible for the water pump to get clogged? My engine temp is fine, my oil is fine, my heater runs nice and hot, and when its cold it does throw alot of condensation possibly looks like white smoke however it smells gas heavy and goes away after about 15 to 20 min of travel so i dont think its a head gasket problem. Anyways Thank you for reading this and i appreciate any help anyone can offer. If you need rig stats its in my signature. Thank you.

Also i have two videos of the condensation posted here
vid 1 cold start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDcRdGFKqWM
vid 2 after a few min running http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is-vQCLmLW8

Second Q: Got a constant check engine light on, its always p0420, Book says "catalyst system efficiency below threshold (Bank 1)". What exactly does this mean and does this mean i gotta replace a cat? Sensor? EGR valve? Cheaper the better (i think we all pray by this motto! LOL) Thanks again for your help

The hose is probably older then Moses and could stand to be replaced,if in doubt there is a cheap and easy test to check for head gaskets that a reputable shop can do in 10 minutes,they check for combustion gasses in your coolant.

Then you know for sure,it's probably running rich if you can smell gas.Some of the code gurus will help you there I'm sure.:p:

Back