couple questions for u speed freaks! limited slips and short throw shifters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

couple questions for u speed freaks! limited slips and short throw shifters

ok i have a mustang true loc LS with 3.55 gears. will this work in my rear end? are the axles the same and can hold up? also. are there any nice short throw shifters out there for the 5 spd??? doesnt even need to be short throw but i hate that bulky stick and knob. TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nothin? anybody even considered this? i mean they are the same axle

ok i have a mustang true loc LS with 3.55 gears. will this work in my rear end? are the axles the same and can hold up? also. are there any nice short throw shifters out there for the 5 spd??? doesnt even need to be short throw but i hate that bulky stick and knob. TIA

What is the true loc? Are you meaning the Trac-Lok (factory Ford limited slip)? I am very educated on the 8.8 setup so once I figure out what a true loc is then I will be able to help.

The Mustang duf is 28 spline & Explorers are 31 spline.

3.55 gears are rather tall for an Explorer. I know Explorers came with 3.55 but add larger tires and acceleration is non-existant.

The Mustang duf is 28 spline & Explorers are 31 spline.

3.55 gears are rather tall for an Explorer. I know Explorers came with 3.55 but add larger tires and acceleration is non-existant.

Only partially true, the exception being the 03-04 Cobra's although IRS is 31T and that carrier will directly fit into our housing.

sry about the bad description i meant trac loc. rather tall?? i have 3.27's with an open diff. they suck. but i have the factory trac loc and 3 55's outta my stang. thought maybe i could fit it in there. but the splines are different count so i guess its a no go unless i get a rear end out of a terminator.

and does hurst really make a shifter for this tranny? where could i locate one?

if the only thing holdin ya back is splines, cant ya get an adapter machined? if i recall when under mine, the drive shaft bolts to the rear end dont it? im sure any good machinist could make something to adapt the 2.

are there any x's that came with 31 spline axles so i could equip this trac loc?

I can testify to that. My 5-speed 4.0 has 3.55 in it with 255/70-16. Yawn!
and Hurst Does make a shifter for the Ranger/Explorer.

One of the BEST mods I ever did was the Hurst Short Shifter. The OEM shifter had less than 80k on it, and it was loose, and sloppy. TRUE, I could have just re-built the shifter, but I still would have had the crappy long throw shifter.

Like everyone on here has said, it is listed as a Ford Ranger shifter.

Here's a few pics of it in my X.

Ryan

i just got off the ****ter and was looking for the shifter. i guess they dont carry it or its not listed. ill have to contact hurst about it. that does look good in your truck man.

If you are looking for a good 31T diff I would recommend going with a Eaton. I have a 31T Trac-Loc in my garage laying around if you are interested. Email me at hensonperformance@bham.rr.com for pricing on the used Trac-Lok or a new Eaton. (Not many can beat my pricing on the Eaton.).

hell yeah thanks for that link man.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back