cracked exhaust pipe

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
I know this isn't my explorer, but its my mom's excursion. Anyway, my mom came home today and she said her exhaust was wicked loud when she started up her truck after leaving work today. Well, I crawl underneath with my flashlight and couldn't beleive it. The whoe pipe was broken off between the cat and the muffler. It was almost a clean cut the whole way around the pipe. If anyones ever wondered what the V10 sounds like almost straight pipe, it damn loud and mean! So my question is, how could this have happened? There is zero rust anywhere under the truck, exhaust included. It doesn't look like it was cut because where it severed off is a little jagged. I was thinking of just taking it to midas or mineke tomorrow morning for her just to get it welded back together since it will join back up nice and clean. Is this my best option? How much does it cost just to get it welded back up? I was thinking around $20 or so. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year is it??

I would do as you stated. Just have them weld it on and yes around $30 I think would be fair.

It's a 2001. I was shocked becasue there is no rust and this truck is always driven on paved roads. Oh well, just gotta get it fixed without too much hassle from the guys at midas. :rolleyes:

Is there any dents or anything? Maybe she ran over something and it bounced up and broke it? Sounds unlikely but something happened? Have you checked to make sure Fido is still in the back yard???

dealer may fix it for free cause it is classified as part of the emissions system

I got my whole PCM fixed under the emissions BS (I'm not complaining though!). I'm assuming no warranty, so a bead of weld would probably fix it, and that can't possibly be too expensive since it's a 5 min. job. I personally don't like Midas since they wouldn't even give me a quote for putting in a Flowie since I didn't buy it from them. I think that if you could find anyone that can weld, even a body shop, they might be able to help you out.

Ya we caled the dealer and they will fix it no charge. Gonna have them fix the power locks that don't work as well. That is a damn big pipe to have broken from hitting something. I don't know if any of you have seen the exhaust pipe size on the V10's, but its a pretty heavy gauge 3" pipe. She said she didn't hit anything and it was fie when she wen to work but sounded really loud when she left. Oh well, just amazed at how the pipe broke like that. I've never seen that happen before.

Maybe just heating and cooling, or did she wack some small children that she doesn't know about

Well, the guys ovre at Midas wanted to put a whole new pipe from the cat to the muffler. I nearly shat a brick. I wanted to kick their ***** so bad. I told them I just wanted to have the crack welded back up. They said they would put a sleeve over it for $60. I again told them I just wanted them to weld it. He told me that they crack for a reason and just welding a weak pipe will just fix it for a little while before it breaks again. He said he would tack it in a couple spots just to hold it temporarily for $30. I was so pissed off at that point I asked for my keys and told tham to let the truck down off the lift. I hate just about every mechanic I have ever met. I felt as though I was being taken advantage of and I hate that more than anything. However, I do know a guy that I am positve I can trust not to try to screw me over. Only reason I didn't go see him today is that he is about 30 minutes away, but I will make the trip Wednesday morning to go see him to get this fixed for my mom. I drove it for the first time today since it broke, and it is damn loud inside (I love the sound, but my mom can't stand it) so I wanna get it fixed asap for her. Another thing is that there is a very noticable lose in low end torque since it is pretty much a straight pipe, no muffler. O well, I will post back later after I get this fixed.

Back