• Register Today It's free!

Cranks but won't start

Hayden_b1004

Reaction score
City, State
Abilene, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford explorer xlt
So my 95 explorer just started this issue where it fires up in the morning on my way to work but if I stop somewhere and shut it off and try to restart it, it won't fire just constantly crank. Sometimes if I press the relief valve on the intake it will start after that but other times that won't help. But if I let it sit for about 5 minutes it will start up. I already tried replacing the relay and that didn't change anything. Please help this is my only vehicle that I have.

Might be fuel pump. Are you able to check the fuel pressure at the rail?

Maybe it just seems this way, so …. Trouble Shooting for Dummies - like me.

If it does NOT crank (and battery/battery cables are sound), suspect starter. If it cranks, but does NOT start (and has adequate fuel), suspect fuel pump. Aftermarket starters and fuel pumps seem to consistently be very poor quality.

Another idea…. if you can repair or rebuild or restore OEM part, do it. Lots of other aftermarket parts are very poor quality also.

And …. if it leaks radiator coolant, suspect cheap aftermarket radiator. Aftermarket radiators should embarass even Chinese manufacturers. If it is not the cheap radiator, suspect your OEM thermostat housing. OEM thermostat housings are expensive plastic trash. Get the Simmons aluminum thermostat housing and keep driving.

These ideas cover 95% of my repairs.

Good luck.

Back