96 4.0L cranks but won't start.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 4.0L cranks but won't start....

tjr1973

Reaction score
City, State
Red Lodge, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0L
Just picked up a 96 Ford Explorer 4.0L 4x4 with an Automatic Transmission with a random no start problem. When the vehicle doesn't start, you can't hear the pump run.

The previous day I changed the fuel filter and it wasn't that plugged...you could blow through it fairly easily. I changed the fuel pump as well and sure enough it did it again this morning. Vehicle cranks like crazy but no start. I messed around with it for about fifteen minutes and every once in a while when I'd turn the key on, I could hear the pump. It would try and fire but not start when it did this. More often than not, I couldn't hear the pump and it would just crank. I had my wife turn the key on while I put my hand (and ear) over the relays and the fuel pump relay was clicking every time.

After messing with turning the key on and off I finally got it to start. I turned it off and on quite a few times without fail from then on. The check engine light is not on and I have not seen it on.

Could a Crankshaft position sensor cause this....a cam sensor...the computer itself? I guess I'm not sure where to investigate now. If anybody has any pointers I'd love to hear them at this point.

Tracy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having the same problem with my 96 Explorer. Did you ever get this figured out? I'm losing my mind over this never knowing if and when I will get stranded somewhere. Thanks!

Yeah...it was the one thing I didn't replace when doing the fuel pump job. The fuel pump relay. I replaced it and I believe the ECM Relay next to it at the same time and haven't had a problem since.

This is off the top of my head just with that era fords in general, I would check the fuel pump relay and see if it is picking up, try replacing or even just pulling it and cleaning the connector contacts.

I have a '96 4.0 as well (replaced the fuel pump by cutting the access panel), if you're absolutely positive you are not hearing the fuel pump on certain crank-ups, I would think it has to be the relay (as suggested) or the wiring is faulty to the pump. Also I have heard horror stories about replaced pumps being faulty as well. If the easy fix of replacing or jumping the starter relay doesn't work, I would guess that the thing to do is check for proper voltage at the pump connections when you turn the key to crank, if it is consistent than you know it's the pump. That's where I would begin.

SHe probably already fixed it, since this thread is about 2 yrs old...:p

96 Ford cranks but will not start

I have read many posts on here, and tried every test I know to try. Any ideas? My 96 Ford explorer has an intermittent starting problem. Some days it will start up as soon as I turn the key. Other days I can crank it til I turn blue, and it will not start. nor sound like it's trying to. I have checked the fuel pressure.. It is maintained around 35psi. I have checked the spark on all 6 cylinders from the ignition module, the spark seems to be fine on all cylinders. I have used noid testers, to test fuel injectors... they all seem to be functioning. This seems to be a something overheating issue. When the engine will start, I can let it sit and idle, and it will continue to run just fine. Matter of fact I can drive to town and back (30 miles round trip) and it never misses or stalls. But once I turn the ignition off, it will not start back until it sits for several hours. When it will start I have tried making it fail by running up the RPMS, and that does the trick. It can be idling just fine, I can run RPM up to 3K and hold it there, and after about 30 seconds the engine quits, as if the ignition, or fuel has been shut off. I can immediately test the fuel pressure, and ignition spark, and both test normal, yet the engine still will not start until it sits for a few hours. I assumed if the problem was the Crank position sensor, that I would not have spark on all 6 cylinders. which I do. What am I missing??? Update. I started the Ford and let it sit idling to see if the problem would occur, and the engine stall. It sit idling as smooth as silk for an hour and 20 minutes...then suddenly stopped, with no miss, or erratic behavior, almost as if the ignition switch had been turned off. I'm beginning to think the problem is with the ECC as it has never indicated an engine light, or error code.

Back