• Register Today It's free!

Creaking sound from front end

TheJMan

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Mazda 3 Hatchback
For a while now, my 1993 is making a creaking sound from the front end whenever I brake, turn or hit a bump. It happens most notably when turning right. I have let it go for the past couple of days, thinking that it might get better and it has actually gotten worse. I have had the shocks on there for eight years and I am wondering if it could be a bad shock? Also, I don't know if this is any help but it pulls hard right when I hit the brakes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be your shocks or ball joints.. i know my 2001 does the same thing and i need new ball joints.. i just need to find the time to get them done..

Mike

I'd start with brake pads/rotors, if they haven't been inspected recently.

Originally posted by MrShorty
I'd start with brake pads/rotors, if they haven't been inspected recently.
they would not make noise when going over bumps.. ball joints and shocks would

I just had the front brakes done a few months ago, and I only have 78K miles on it, and don't drive that much. The shocks that are on there now are Explorer Pro Comp and were put on at 20K miles in 1995. So I guess the shocks need replacing.

Radial arm bushings also create that sound. Mine was a combination of both shocks and bad bushings.

I have had the same symptoms. I have replaced so far radius arm bushings, all ball joints, shocks. It has gotten better, but is still there. Next to replace - Tie rod ends. and possibly replace rubber under the front springs.

LStoudenmire

I replaced the tie rod ends at the same time I replaced everything else that you replaced except the shocks. I had planned to replace the shocks since the front end bounces more than once when it's given the bounce test. I didn't because the used shocks seemed as stiff or stiffer than the replacement ones. Please let me know how replacing the rubber under the springs does for this problem.

Back