Cross traffic alert system not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cross traffic alert system not working

Explorer Phil

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CaLIFORNIA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Callsign
K6***
I just realized that the cross traffic alert system wasn't working when I was coming out of the parking space at Costco and someone almost hit me. The bliss system is working and the reverse proximity alert is working, but not the cross traffic alert system. There is no warning or info on the dashboard. I hooked up my computer with forscan and received no codes. I even did a diagnosis and reset on the pam module, but to no avail. In the info center, the box is checked for the cross traffic alert system and I even have the trailer sway control set to off just to be sure their is no conflict between the two. I am not towing a trailer. All the sensors on the bumper appear to be looking ok. Is their a way to troubleshoot the system without the dealer? the car is past the 3year mark for the warranty. Any help would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Phil. Is it possible that the sensor on one side is not working and the other side is okay? I'm not sure which sensor(s) the system uses but I don't believe the BLIS radar units are part of it.

Peter

I just realized that the cross traffic alert system wasn't working when I was coming out of the parking space at Costco and someone almost hit me. The bliss system is working and the reverse proximity alert is working, but not the cross traffic alert system. There is no warning or info on the dashboard. I hooked up my computer with forscan and received no codes. I even did a diagnosis and reset on the pam module, but to no avail. In the info center, the box is checked for the cross traffic alert system and I even have the trailer sway control set to off just to be sure their is no conflict between the two. I am not towing a trailer. All the sensors on the bumper appear to be looking ok. Is their a way to troubleshoot the system without the dealer? the car is past the 3year mark for the warranty. Any help would be helpful.
Hi there I'm have the same problem with my explorer can you please let me know if you solved the issue that would be great hope to hear back from you.

Hi there I'm have the same problem with my explorer can you please let me know if you solved the issue that would be great hope to hear back from you.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Hey Phil, I am in the same boat. Took it to the dealer twice now. Every time they run a BCE test they find a new code and fix it but my sensors pick up cars 50% of the time. Will be taking it for the 3rd time this week as my wife has had few close calls coming out of driveway - with kids she doesn't feel safe driving the car now....

Hey Phil, I am in the same boat. Took it to the dealer twice now. Every time they run a BCE test they find a new code and fix it but my sensors pick up cars 50% of the time. Will be taking it for the 3rd time this week as my wife has had few close calls coming out of driveway - with kids she doesn't feel safe driving the car now....
I can see the concern but you should never just rely on electronics/technology to keep you safe. Whatever happened to self-checking for traffic?

Peter

I can see the concern but you should never just rely on electronics/technology to keep you safe. Whatever happened to self-checking for traffic?

Peter
Yes you are right. I am comparing it to my previous cars (Honda, Kia, Cadillac) all picked up cars coming. Not sure why ford is not doing the job?

Yes you are right. I am comparing it to my previous cars (Honda, Kia, Cadillac) all picked up cars coming. Not sure why ford is not doing the job?
My system picks up vehicles that are approaching my neighbour's house. I'd guess at least 100 ft away.

Peter

My system picks up vehicles that are approaching my neighbour's house. I'd guess at least 100 ft away.

Peter
Yup - that's what I expected with mine. But I am afraid it is going for a 3rd time to the shop to get checked =( I think it is to do with Ford vs. Lincoln system?

Apparently, there is a recall on 2020/21 Explorer/Aviator. This is the message I got online:
AN UNUSED GENERAL PURPOSE OUTPUT PIN ON THE DIGITAL CAMERA WAS LEFT OPEN. IF THIS PIN IS NOT PULLED LOW IT MAY BE AFFECTED BY LEAKAGE CURRENT, RESULTING IN A LOSS OF VIDEO OUTPUT. LOSS OF REAR CAMERA IMAGE WHILE REVERSING INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Not sure if this is the reason for the cross-traffic issues.... Last week the dealer found DTC U0415 and SSM 49980. They said the correction was performed by doing a reprogram and calibration of the 360 camera. I am not sure if the cross-traffic uses the camera...?

For the above recall, the remedy online is: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE THE IMAGE PROCESSING MODULE IPMB SOFTWARE UPDATED. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE.

Not sure if this is the reason for the cross-traffic issues.... Last week the dealer found DTC U0415 and SSM 49980. They said the correction was performed by doing a reprogram and calibration of the 360 camera. I am not sure if the cross-traffic uses the camera...?
I don't think the camera is involved in activating the warning. That would be done by the sensors. The camera will just show what it is you hit when the sensors are ignored or malfunction. ;)

Peter

Back