Cruise control switch Gen3 on bottom of master cylinder? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control switch Gen3 on bottom of master cylinder?

nowa4u2los

Reaction score
City, State
Wake Forest, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Cruise control switch Gen3 on bottom of master cylinder?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My cruise control stopped working on my 2005 XLT 4.0 with the optional adjustable brake pedals, like the Limited. I ordered the switch that mounts on the front of the master cylinder (90% of solutions on 2002-5 with this issue), but I found this switch mounts vertically on the front of the master cylinder. My master cylinder has a short front end and there appears to be a similar switch of a different design on the bottom of the master cylinder. Is there a similar fix for this switch? I cannot find a YouTube video on this one. I did call a Ford dealer parts department to see if my VIN had any recalls, but they did acknowledge my master cylinder was different than the earlier 2002-5 ones. Any advice on how to fix this one, instead of the common one?

If you're referring to a switch on the master cylinder, it is most likely the brake pressure switch. This sometimes throws the ABS light on if you brake and accelerate a few times too rapidly and too close to each other.

Yes, there are some models that were recalled since the switch always received power, even when the system was turned off with no key in ignition. If brake fluid (highly flammable) were to leak on these switches (underneath master cylinder), you would have a fire almost instantaneously. This is why these parts were recalled. I believe this was only on the '02 models and earlier though.

Not sure if this would cause cruise control to stop working, it's been a while. Worth replacing if you're getting the engine code for it, or if the ABS light comes on randomly and then reverts back on engine restart. I believe you just disconnect the harness and wrench it out just under the connector.

If you have a multimeter or ohm meter do a test to check for operation.

There is a cruise control disconnect pressure switch on the master cylinder, if it messes up you wont have cruise.
It's an emergency disconnect for the cruise - it cuts power to the cruise control module if brake pressure rises high enough to trip the switch. I think this is why you sometimes have to push On and then set again after hitting your brakes instead of just resume.

Mine is like that. It has 3 wires. I cannot find a replacement anywhere.

Back