• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Breather Loose?

rsnz

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney, NSW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, 4.6l, Limited
Long time listener, first time caller. - I did do a search, but couldn't find any definitive answers as to how to best rectify or where this belongs.

Firstly, just want to say what a great forum this is. Based in Sydney, Australia I've owned my 04' Explorer V8 for a little over 12months now and what a great and supportive community this is.
Having only limited mechanical experience on vehicles, this site has given me the confidence to wrench on my Explorer. So far I have fixed;
- New rear diff pinion seal,
- swap out a complete rear knuckle,
- replace all brake rotors, pads and bleed the system,
- install a new headunit,
- install a new power antenna
- front sway bushings
- rear sway links
- new turn signal relay (that really tested my patience!)

Today, when pulling in, I noticed a hose dragging underneath the Explorer around the front axle. Jacked her up, one end has a kinda plug with an "A" on the tip, the other looks to head back into the Transmission.
I suspect this maybe a the breather tube? Where does the this other end plug into?
It doesn't seem to be leaking any fluid, I've just cable-tied it to the cross member out of the way for the time being. NB, thats water from the rain in the pictures not ATF

Am I right to keep driving for a while?
If at all relevant, I did just have the timing chain and guides replaced last week..

IMG_2658.jpg
IMG_2659.jpg
IMG_2660.jpg
IMG_2662-1.jpg

Back