Custom gauge faces that you can make out of paper | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom gauge faces that you can make out of paper

Is there anyway to make it so you can see the design at night? Any way to light it up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can this be done for the 94 and earlier ex? if so what are the differences?

You can do this with any year as long as you have the template for the guages for that year. Also, I must say, knowledge of Photoshop is a MUST for this project.

I want to learn photoshop but there is no one I know that knows it. I have it and I have tried using it but no luck... and I am not one to read the help section. :banghead:

I just downloaded photoshop and am waiting until I can get someones full size scan of their gauges.

David - is there anyway you could have a place for us to download a full size scan of your gauges so that we dont have to go and rip apart our dashes just yet?

I was thinking you might be able to get the images visible at night if you put the indiglo gauges behind the paper gauges.

I used the 9mil thick "HP premium plus" photo paper. I would recommend that if you're going to try this to use the 7.5 mil paper. Because it will allow more light through the paper which will light the number/dummy lights better.

Here is a link for the templates for you to use. The ZIP file is about 3.5 mb.

Dead Link Removed

Bigtig, if you wanna send me those full-size scans of the gauges I can upload them to my server so everybody can view them...that way you won't have to send them to each individual person. ;)

Oh, wait disregard my last post. :D

needle gauges??

can someone please tell me how to reset all my needles on my gauges so that they are correct??

after I installed my custom gauges the needles didn't go back to where they are supposed to be. My idle is at like 4000 RPM, and speed at like 40mph, etc.

thanx

oh ya how can I post some pics of my gauges??

after you make the gauges you want and you cut them out, do you have to cut everthing out, ie all of the numbers, warnings, ect. ???

So If you just printed the numbers out, with no pictures, you would have a cheap set of white faced indiglo gauges, right? Has anyone tried this with a first gen X? I have no idea how to photoshop, but I am looking into it :cool:

awsome idea! has anyone scanned guages for our first gen X's?

All you have to cut out is the holes for the needles so that you can install the gauges without having to remove the needles.

Yes, you could print out a cheap set of white gauges.

To my knowledge nobody has done this for the first gen X, because nobody has scanned the original gauges for those years. It can be done, but first some body has to take off the original gauges for a first gen X and scan them.

I'm still trying to figure out how to use photoshop correctly in order to do this.

Did you try following the original instruction from the web site? I believe he used PhotoShop. I would help, but I didn't use PhotoShop, I used Adobe Photo Deluxe.

While working on the custom faces, I noticed that one of the idiot light was spelled odd.

Is it me or should the light "CHECK GAGE" be "CHECK GAUGE"? I know it can be spelled that way but I've been told that "GAGE" is more of an old English way of spelling it.

This making your own gagues is a sweet idea... dont know if I can help but I have Photoshop Deluxe 1.0 and I have mastered the program so I might be able to help, I know photoshop veries between the Versions but I think its the same concept..... Time to go play with some Idea's for some gagues, Later

David, thanks for making the guage faces available for us to download.

Does anyone know if the 98+ guage faces are the same as the 95-97 guage faces?? Can I use David's templates to make faces for my 95?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some of the dummy gauges on Tig's Explorer are different from mine. Like the theft gauge, check susp. gauge, and the filler door arrow. It'd be great for someone to scan 95-97 guages.

Back