Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
My rocker pannels are rusted out so rather than waste
time repairing them so that I can go smash them on something I am just going to cut the
suckers off. Once I am done I will cover the hole with 1/4" steel (maybe 1/8" not sure) so
that it is covered and I will have something solid to bounce off rocks.

I will be cutting off everything below the blue line.

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad I don't wheel with you. Just my personal opinion; but if I was that guy, I'd want to keep my legs.Dead Link Removed

[Edited by GJarrett on 09-14-2000 at 07:43 AM]

Paul the one thing I have been told because I had the same idea at one time. :) Is that that whole part of your body thats bolted together down there is what holds the body together. So you may want to make sure you brace it up real good afterwords. That and take lots of pictures of how you brace it up. :) Cause I want to do this too! I have already cut off my rockers behind the rear wheels right at the line where the plastic trim peice comes across...

It will be solidly braced. It will have to be because I want it to be able to take a good hit. I will take lots of pictures when I do it. Probably not this week but anything has to be better than the huge hole that I have in the rocker panel right now. I will move the mounting tabs and adjusting bolts for the front fender, probably pop rivet them in place and then cover with herculiner (but only cover the truck) or something like that.

That sounds like a good plan. Just don't get all Lance like on it. LOL Although it would be intresting to see that version of an Explorer.

Paul,
Are you getting all this done before your Rubicon trip? Also, which Pirates are you going to wheel with? I don't lurk on the POR board as much as people think (I usually simply don't have time to surf other boards) so I'm a little behind on your trip plans at the moment.

Paul, my rust isn't as bad but I'm doing similar. I am bolting on a piece of 1/8th in steel diamond plate in the exact line that you have shown. Total cost for mine is $250 Ca cash. I'd like to see how your goes...

ps. I'm in some information gathering mode for a Dana44 swap...probably an EB or maybe cut down a full size Ford. Use the stock radius arms (wrist 1 side) and 3.5" EB lift springs or similar.

Gerald, I am not sure yet if I will do it before I go down to the Rubicon. I will have to see how much time I have. I still need to change my ball joints, mount my air tank, change my power steering pump and change my bearings on the rear diff. If I have time I might cut it off. Not this weekend though because I am supposed to go out to a trail cleanup on Saturday.

Dale, We should compare notes and see what works best. Are you cutting it flush or just the outside part? I am going to cut it right back to the floor pan so that it is a flat surface when you look at it.

Well, I'm not cutting away any existing sheet metal. My rust problem will be solved with a little grinding, sanding and priming. I am having a full length piece formed from under the door - under the rocker - down the lip - and in toward the frame 1.5". Then I'll use a full length piece of angle iron (L shaped) and mount it on the frame side where the 2 pieces of body sheet metal come together and bolt it on the 1.5" piece pointed inward and also through the lip of the body sheet metal. Ackward explanation, but I hope you get the gist. The end product will protect the rockers to the bottom of the door and provide a double thick 1/8" flat piece (rock slider?!) along the entire bottom length. I hope this is the strongest setup.

Cheers

Dale

Paul,
Did you ever cut the the rocker out? I'm goin to do somethin over X-mas break about mine. If you did cut the rocker, can you post some pics of it.
Thanks

Not yet. Once I do I will post pics.

I know how you guys feel. I live in cleveland and am in the process of gutting my rockers. I am going to rebuild them structurally then put 1/8 inch aluminum diamond plate on the outside of them. I went with this because it is going to be easy to form. Just a thought, are you sure you want to tie in your rockers to the rest of your body so good? Dont you want them to cripple a little bit? If not i think they might distort your door jam or something? Maybe im wrong but figured id give my.....thought!!!LOL

Thanks for replying Paul, i might be doing in a week, so i might be posting some pics.

Paul, have you cut the rockers? i really would like to know if it worked or not. I busted my right side last weekend wheeling. The only thing holding the rocker there was the paint. Thanks

Back