• Register Today It's free!

CV Axle Nut--Size 32mm??

mbruffey

Reaction score
City, State
MN, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD Eddie Bauer
All the docs I have read indicate 32mm for CV Axle nut size (1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD). When I put my 32mm on there, however, it seems awfully loose. So, too, 1-1/4") I have not yanked the wheel yet, so I can't get at that nut with my calipers yet. In the meantime is that nut possibly a 31mm or 1-1/8" or some such (not, of course, in my toolbox)? I hate to use the wrong sized socket on a 250lb torque nut . . . . Thx, LMB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just went out and checked the mounty i have in the backyard and both sides are a 31mm socket

How odd, 32mm here. 98 AWD

I am in the same situation. I have a 2002 XLS explorer. 32mm and 1 1/4 are way too big. 31 and 30 mm too big too! However, the 1 1/8 may be too small considering I had to use a hammer to get it all the way on (equivelant to a 28 mm socket). guess I am going to try the 29 mm today.

Anyone have any of the same problems?

seems they vary from axle to axle, i use a 32 mm impact socket anyways, so if it doesn't fit just perfect it's all good, , but it usually fits

Back