• Register Today It's free!

Spindle axle nut size

dean1997sport

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport OHV
Does any one know what size socket for the front spindle axle nut?, 1997 2WD (2 wheel drive).
I need to change my wheel bearings and I want to get all the tools together but the wife has the truck this morning so I cant check.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try a search first next time.

Does any one know what size socket for the front spindle axle nut?, 1997 2WD.
I need to change my wheel bearings and I want to get all the tools together but the wife has the truck this morning so I cant check.

Thanks

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208250

Try doing a search first next time. I know it can be frustrating to weed through so many search results, but part of that is because of so many duplicate posts asking the same thing that's been answered many times.

That 1 is for 4WD 32mm socket I have a 2WD
I searched for 2WD and nothing

That 1 is for 4WD 32mm socket I have a 2WD
I searched for 2WD and nothing

Found Dorman Part# 615-072 listed at rockauto.com for your spindle nut. Apparantly it a VERY common piece, being used all the way back to the '55 Thunderbird, as well as on many other manuf.'s vehicles

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-...prev=yes&vnext=yes&category_list=1418:228:0:0

Application List

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-...ev=yes&vnext=yes&category_list=1418:228:0:0:0

Details of that part# 1-1/16" hex size for the dorman nut. I don't know if you OEM one will be the same.

Hey thanx man I book marked that site really appreciate it.

Dean

Oh FYI for any one that might need it 1-1/16" = 27 mm

Thats funny that its been the same size size the 55' T bird used for all these years!

Who uses a socket on a 2wd spindle nut?? Remove the cotter pin and, at worst, use a pair of pliers. Usually, if they're worn, they're not even finger-tight anymore. Heck, the torque spec is 20 inch*lbs. If you need a socket, you're doing something wrong!

I was gonna torque to spec. thats why I was trying to find size. but if you guys say a pliers can work, which it did, I am all for that

:)

If you really want to, go ahead. The key is torquing it in the three incriments specified in the owner's manual, with the final one being not-too-tight. After you've done them for a few years, there's really not much need for a torque wrench... Finger-tight plus a little tweak is pretty-close-enough. Just don't forget to replace the cotter pin.

Ok these are the steps:

Tighten to 40nm
Loosen 2 turns
Tighten the spindle nut while rotating counterclockwise 23-34nm
Loosen the spindle nut 1/2 turn
Tighten the spindle nut 2nm

I went and got the socket from AZ for $2.99

Ok these are the steps:

Tighten to 40nm
Loosen 2 turns
Tighten the spindle nut while rotating counterclockwise 23-34nm
Loosen the spindle nut 1/2 turn
Tighten the spindle nut 2nm

I went and got the socket from AZ for $2.99

That's roughly 30 ft*lbs in the first step, 21 ft*lbs in the second step, and roughly 17-20 INCH*lbs in the final step.

If the hole for the cotter pin doesn't line up, back it off to the next notch.

why would mine have worked itself loose? mechanic didnt do all three steps?

A lot of possibilities: No cotter pin, improper torque, bearings not seated in the bores of the hub, bearing wear.... Could be a lot of things, or could be nothing... Snug it up using the steps mentioned, check it from time to time, and drive it like ya' stole it!

Back