• Register Today It's free!

CV Front Prop Shaft Rebuild!!!

jchopo01

Reaction score
City, State
Luther, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Okay well this is my first write-up. I believe this is the first rebuild kit seen?? Correct me if I am wrong. Here is the eBay item number - 170375916860. The website of the company making them is http://www.drivelinesnw.com/. I was told to get it off eBay as the list price directly through them is around $120 if I remember compared to $70 on eBay.

The kit includes the new joint, boot, cup, cup gasket, c-clip, and grease.
l_e32264e3750d430eb17a591ceeb5c7c8.png

1) Carefully lay out the kit on a clean area. I recommend being near a vice to hold the drive shaft. Remove the drive shaft from your vehicle if you have not already done so.

2) Put the drive shaft into the vice joint up. Use wood blocks or anything to not scare the drive shaft if you worry about it. It did not hurt mine putting it straight in and you do not have to tighten it really tight.
l_bec93cec737445d4bd2aecd28620cff5.png

3) Remove the old c-clip. Remove either the entire old joint or the inner race and then the rest. Then snip the old boot clamp and remove the boot.
l_e264eb1dbd6a4de1bbdc4c7b2d572a34.png

l_ecd08157cfdd4a8d89d96de51a6e77e9.png

4) Clean the spines. Slide the new boot down to the old boot location which is indented. Put the boot clamp on. The one that comes in the kit kinda sucks. I recommend a better one.
l_168d542a6a2145b4958eac99ea41a86f.png

5)Put 3/4 of the grease into the boot. Slide the new CV joint on with the cup indented end up. Feel free the use some grease to grease the joint. Put the new c-clip on the end of the shaft. Put the rest of the grease on top of the joint. Put the gasket on and then pop the cup on. Move the joint to get the grease into the joint more. When it spins it will balance the grease outwards.
l_3191aa1e51024fa580964db5990775f1.png

l_78cae7a2a493465ab855f61ddbb012e6.png

l_8f1b4768f8ab43a1a61a3416e9c7c037.png

l_d9346459128a403c9127a7a5cc5822b0.png

6) Okay its done! Five minutes of work complete! When installing it is recommended that you use new bolts. I reused mine but if you do it is your risk. And now a picture of the Explorer for kicks.

l_f4f7760628b64884b564afd5444f4709.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that pretty easy! Good write up you will definitely help somebody with this!

Do you have some sort of part number or something for that kit? The Ebay ID has been removed. I tried looking on their website, but can't find much there.

I found my boot has split this weekend, but not full of dirt and junk yet. Tried to repair it with a good silicone and zip tie, but that's just a bandaid. I like that the bearing piece is already assembled. We separated it on accident and dad spent quite a bit of time finding just how to put it back together.

I am not quite sure. I listed their website up above. Maybe give them a call and see whats up. I was told they were out of stock last I knew so not quite sure if they still make them or not. My X is outta commission out of the moment and have not bothered with the front drive shaft yet at all.

Excellent!

How do you get the original joint apart? I can't get the top off!!

OK, so in the fourth picture, everything is removed. On the top of the drive shaft, there is the vertical grooved piece. Well, I have everything off except for the piece directly attached to the grooved part of the shaft. I'm this far without screwing anything up. Any suggestions of how to get that off without damaging those grooves in the shaft?

Anybody else not able to see the pics?

hey i cant see pics either.... i could really use this thread but i also need the pics.... anyone out there that can help???? maybe another similiar thread

Is the CV joint the common failure point on these shafts? Do the splines or the U-joint often wear out?

NAPA sells a refurb'ed Cardone shaft for $259 retail, probably less with their discounts. Would hate to buy and install one of these rebuild kits only to find out that the shaft splines are worn out, or the u-joint also is shot.

Back