CV Joint Boot Failure? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV Joint Boot Failure?

Fudman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
About three weeks ago I replaced my front wheel bearings on my 2002 XLT AWD. I had to pound the bearings for over an hour each with a slide hammer to release them. An absolutely brutal job. Anyway, I completed the job and everything appeared to be fine as the noise went away and the car drove fine.

Today, I replaced my front brake pads. I noticed grey grease all over the CV boot, right front control arm, ABS wiring, brake lines, etc. I could not notice any break in the CV boot but I am 99% sure that is the source of the grease.

I remember that the boot accordian was able to be pushed in and out when I was removing the wheel bearing, Was it possible that I did not reinstall the CV boot properly when installing the new bearing? Is it possible to refill the boot with grease and reinstall the small end of the boot properly so that it does not leak again? Or was it possible that I damaged either the boot or the CV joint during the bearing removal?

Even though there does not appear to be any damge to the boot, can the CV boot be replaced alone or does the entire CV joint require replacement? Does it require removal of the CV axel? I have already gotten the front bearings replaced so getting to that point should not be a problem. I do not think I have done any damage to the CV joint yet as there is no noise when going around turns in either direction.

My thanx in advance for any insight or help you can provide.

boots are like 20 dollars. most come with grease pack.

Thanx. I spoke to my mechanic today and he said don't bother to replace the half axle unless I start hearing a clicking noise when turning. He recommended that I just clean up the boot and if I can find a leak, to patch it with silicon adhesive. He said replacing the grease is not completely necessary as it is packed with grease anyway and most of it does nothing. Basically, he recommended that I fix nothing until it breaks. So at least in the near term, I've dodged a bullet.

You can get a product by the name of Boot Sealer, from National Auto. It is designed particularly for the sealing of torn CV boots. Saves from having to pull the axle shaft, and wheel to replace the boot, or whole joint. It's SUPPOSED to be a virtually permanent fix for a boot that is NOT dry rotted.

Back