CV joint replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV joint replacement

djwink

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
Are there any posts out there with pictures on how to replace a passenger side cv joint on a 2000 explorer? After I replace my passenger side cv joint on a 2000 explorer, will I lose fluid, and if so, how do I replace the fluid that I lost? I noticed that fluid is dripping from the old cv joint, what type of fluid is this?

Where is the fluid coming from? If it's coming from where the CV shaft and the diff meet then you'll also need a new seal as well. If you're only replacing the CV because of the leak, a new shaft won't fix it. If the shaft is beat, then replace the seal while it is out. You'll regret it if you don't, because you WILL be taking it apart again to replace the seal. And to answer your question if you jack up the front passenger side higher than the rest of the vehicle you wont lose any fluid. The fluid is 80w90 gear oil.

There is a plug on the pumpkin. Find it and that's where you fill it back up. You won't be able to pour it in but will have to push it in. Well you can rig up some tubing and go through driver side wheel well and pour it in that way. Only enough until you can feel the fluid on your finger near the inside of the hole

Back