Cylinder head leak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cylinder head leak.

Paul Stevens

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
Just had a repair done on my 2002 mountaineer two weeks ago, regarding steering colunm. Now it seems coolant was dripping out of back side of the passenger side engine. The head is cracked on the intake side back cylinder. Has anyone had this problem? Is this normal wear on an 74,000 mile well maintain mountaineer? Is there a known defect on 4.0 heads? The crack is more like a hole as I squeeze the radiator hose it look like a water fountain flow of coolant pouring out of the head, could something gone thru the head on the intake side? Any suggestions as to how this would happen. The engine runs fine no knocks or taps and no coolant fluid mixed with engine oil. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. This once happened to me, and it was just a broken bolt. The head snapped off. I was able to remove the remaining stud, and replace it with a new bolt. It didn't even need any sealant.

2002 Mountaineer Cylinder Head

Yes there was sufficant anti freeze coolant. Had 60,000 mile service done at dealership when car had 67,000 miles on it. It now has about 74,000 miles.

The bolts are fine and so is gasket. The crack or hole is on the top side 1 1/2inch from the intake port on the head. Looks like a flat head screw driver mark from the top down onto the cylinder head. Is this normal has anyone experiance the same type of crack or default in the head casting or did someone tamper with the car?

The car was just serviced two weeks ago for a broken shifter arm on the steering colunm. We were told no part was made to replace the shifter arm, so we had to replace the whole steering colunm. Does anyone know if that is true?

no idea on the crack . .

'02 shifter arm, yep, i heard that before, one guy went so far as making his own. . .

Back