danger in running w/o dust excluder seals? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

danger in running w/o dust excluder seals?

98GT-40P

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
The IFS dust (excluder) seals are noisy again on my '98 Mounty. They were replaced at around 50k and around 100k due to noise. I'm considering just pulling them out. Has anyone done this or understand the front hub design well enough to let me know if this is safe? I was able to stick a worn, flat-blade screwdriver under them and stretch (loosen) them and it help the noise for a few weeks. About the same time of improvement as squirting lube in there. Just don't really want to pay to have them replaced a third time. thanks!

Make sure they're being replaced with the proper part. There was a TSB on the issue (don't have the number handy) with a revised part. I suppose it's possible that yours was done prior to the revision, but who knows!?

FWIW, I had mine done back in early '99 IIRC with around 20k on it. The noise seems to have returned ever-so-faintly now at 135k. I'm not worried. I'll just turn the stereo up to 11 and call it good. :)

-Joe

The second replacement set were supposedly the revised ones. When those were being installed, the service advisor said that even the revised ones will make noise again, especially out here in our extremely dry environment (Phoenix).

I'm basically wondering if it can somehow cause a problem for the hub or CV axle by not having it in place. Since the hub is "sealed", does that mean it is impervious or not really...

That's a good question, and one I pondered a while back. I have no clue. From a mechanical standpoint, the offending seals do very little to exclude anything from anywhere. They almost appear to be a first line of defense, but everything behind them is sealed too.

Do you have a picture of them? I'm curious if they're any different in appearance or location than the ones on mine. (I don't even know what the difference is between the old and the revised part... I never saw them side by side)

-Joe

Back