• Register Today It's free!

Dash light dimmer part number

russ12

Reaction score
City, State
lexington, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
Is this the correct OE part number for a 1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer? Ford calls it a Dash Light Dimmer Rheostat Switch F57Z11691A.
To me it is just the rotary dimmer switch :)
I think mine is bad causing the radio buttons to not be backlit. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do your dash gauge displays dim with the dimmer? If so, search "radio display" in this sub forum.

Finding 19 pages it's a fairly common failure with stock head units. Your switch is very likely OK.

That part number seems to be for a 2 door Explorer
To 4 door, try this F87B-11691-AD

Do your dash gauge displays dim with the dimmer? If so, search "radio display" in this sub forum.

Finding 19 pages it's a fairly common failure with stock head units. Your switch is very likely OK.
Yep, my dash lights dim with the dimmer. I replaced the mach radio power supply with a Dorman unit (radio channels and clock now worked) and noticed the buttons did not light up. Previous to power supply replacement had zero radio lights of any kind.. Was led to believe that a faulty dash dimmer may be at fault. Thanks.

^ I think you nailed it then. Good catch by jmvb. Use your VIN whenever possible for parts accuracy. GL

^ I think you nailed it then. Good catch by jmvb. Use your VIN whenever possible for parts accuracy. GL
So you think my problem might be the dash dimmer switch?

Back