Dash lighting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dash lighting

hey anyone know If and how i can change the color of my dash lights, I.E. Speedo, Tach, and Fuel type lights. They are a sluggish really nasty green and i am going for a red theme in my truck.
Can i change the blubs behind the gauges? If so does anyone know what size bulb they are and how many i'd need?? I hope this can be done cuz i really wanna get the green out of there.
THanks for reading and thanks for your help in advance.
~~~~~~RYan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This has been discussed here before. The thing is, the color of the dash lights has little to do with the color of the bulbs. In fact, the bulbs are clear, regular light bulbs. The color the light shines through is evidently changed by a colored film that is applied to the back of the guages from inside the gauge cluster. Some people here have replaced the bulbs in the dash with colored ones, but they have said that the color of the bulb did not really come through. Changing the color would likely require taking the guages apart to find out what really makes the color, and then changing that if possible. Good luck if you try it.

If the color comes from a colored plastic film, couldn't we just take it off, then use whatever bulb color we wanted? The dash is kinda ugly at night...

Oh yeah, the bulbs are size 194 and you will need 6 of them.

if it were a film.. it would be rather easy to change.. but I would imagine ford wouldn't make it that easy.. I would imagine the colored peice is probablly attached to the guages themselves, like a backing and to remove it would probablly damage your faces. If I'm ever feeling.. "froggy" as my dad calls it.. I may break mine down and have a look.. the idea of white guages has kind of interested me.. that is the lights.. not the faces.

I did this in my X. I changed mine to a dark blue and it showed blue through the stock guages. I have white face guages in now and still have blue bulbs in it. Looks really cool. Very custom look to it.

Hey Derrick

How did you do that? Did you just change the bulbs? And it worked fine with the stock gauges? What about the switches and the climate controls? Does it look like the dash lighting in the new VWs?

peace

Mike

ya it works fine! Very Blue! As for the climate control bulbs I've never tried those. I was told that those are a different size bulbs back there. Kinda think about it I might tear in to the dash tomarrow and take a look. I'll let ya know what I find!;)

Back