Dead battery lessons learned | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dead battery lessons learned

Just to follow-up:

1. No further issues with the battery. Conclusion - something must have been left on that did not shut down with the battery saver.

2. Owners manual stinks when it comes to explaining the "Brake shift interlock". I found it but the drawing does little to aid in the actual movement required to disengage. I did not risk breaking something, and seeing the advisory in bold print "See your authorized dealer as soon as possible if this procedure is used.", I elected to let it be. Even knowing it is in the manual it took me about 5 minutes to find it. Honestly - who remembers "Brake Shift Interlock", and why is it in the Driving section rather than Road Emergencies.

Shifting the Ex into Neutral with a dead battery

This morning the eX had a dead battery. Needed to push the car out of the garage to jump it from the F250, but you can't shift into neutral with no battery!

Anyways, on youtube there is some videos showing how to access the manual override.

Its in the front 'ashtray' console where the USB port it. Lift out the whole rubber lining shell. On the bottom left side of the hole is a square access panel that you can lift off with a screwdriver. It lifts from the center of the car towards the front of the car. Then you can slide the round release mechanism, pull it gently towards the front of the car. It looks like a round pushpin, about the size of a dime. It easily slides forward and then you can shift the car into neutral!

^^ Your thread was moved to this existing one on the same issue.
FYI, the feature is called Brake-Shift Interlock and is described on page 178 of the 2016 Owner's Manual.

Peter

Back