Dead Battery - Run/Start Relay Energized | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dead Battery - Run/Start Relay Energized

T2true

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
2012 Explorer XLT

Dead battery this morning. Popped the hood to jump it and heard clicking noise coming from Run/Start relay (slot 88 for the 2012) like it was getting a signal from the key being turned over. But, key was not even in the ignition.

Any idea what that's all about?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Perhaps that is why your battery is now dead. A short somewhere? Have you tried removing the relay and putting it back to see if it still does it?
You could also try switching the ignition ON/OFF a few times to see if it might be faulty.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Perhaps that is why your battery is now dead. A short somewhere? Have you to tried removing the relay and putting it back to see if it still does it?

Peter

Thanks Peter. Yes, I did pull the relay and put it back in. It no longer clicked after replacing it. However, it should not have been energized without the key in. Just wondering if anyone has experienced that and what the problem might be.

Should have answered that in my post. This is the first incident of its kind that I'm aware of. It might be an idea to replace the relay.

Peter

Should have answered that in my post. This is the first incident of its kind that I'm aware of. It might be an idea to replace the relay.

Peter

Thank you.

Back