• Register Today It's free!

Decelerating and front end noise

RichTek

Reaction score
City, State
Pierre, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
I have a 91' with a lot of miles. When slowing down quickly (taking my foot off the gas quickly but NOT hitting the brakes) I hear a chunk, chunk, chunk coming from the front end. Usually two or three chunks or thunks. If I tap the gas (goose it) and let off quickly I can reproduce the sound every time. However, normal driving is fine. If I take it easy when decelerating then I don't have the chunking noise. Has anyone else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you 100% sure it is coming from the front end? The reason I ask is because from the description it sounds like you have a u-joint starting to go.

It sounds like the front. It's a manual transmission.

It does sound like a u joint failing.... and mr boyle has a good point... that point being, are you sure it is from the front... the reason is this, when you hear sounds, that originate somewhere in the immediate vicinty of you and it gets amplified and reverberated and transferred, it can easily throw itself into a different direction.

Thought of looking into the ball joints?

Back