Desert Gold Mine Discovery Run - June 8th | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Desert Gold Mine Discovery Run - June 8th

JT

OK, Ken, Thanks. I still haven't got by the Auto Club to check out their maps. Sorry to say, I don't yet own a laptop, but I hope to soon, and then I can interface my gps, and the 2 meter Ham radio with it, and can then I can be tracked, by the APRS node, just in case I get lost or something. Lots of folks will know exactly where I am, real time, and I will be able to transmit a distress signal, if necessary, with my position pinpointed :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JT

Ken,

Any more news? I'm still in!

We're On!

There will be several people showing up for the run on Saturday. We'll be looking around at the mines as previously stated, with my favorite mine "Golden Egg" high on the list of mines to visit - due to its pristine condition. We'll shoot up to Brooklyn Mine and just make a good day of looking at mines and getting our trucks dirty. There will be a "beginner" in our group, so we'll encourage her as much as possible. I want my wife to drive too, but she might be out of town next weekend. This should be a fun trip. Be sure to bring 1-2 gallons of water (frozen or on ice) a good hat, sunblock, etc. I'll be looking forward to this last run in the desert until after summer! BTW-my cell phone # is (909) 255-1589 if anyone needs to reach me. Ken

JT

Ken,

My Nephew, John and I are stiil in!:)

Are we still going to meet at the Cottonwood Ranger Sta. ? Still at 09:30? If so, do you have any other details. I assume the Cottonwood Ranger Sta. is off Cottonwood Springs Rd, just N. of I-10. If any different, please let us know.

Let's set radio Frequencies: Harry (Silver Coyote) Lewellyn reccomends CB Channel 33 for this area., but I'm open to any other one. If we have any Hams going along, I'll also be on 2 Meters, 145.535 (the So. CA offroad simplex freq.) My mobile cell # is (714) 299-3256, and my handheld cell is (949) 322-8468.

Use the 949.322-8468 if you need to get me before Sat. I'm not sure what kind of service we'll have in the park, but the old analog mobile (714.299-3256) seems to work everywhere.

See you there!

Communications Equipment

Ray,
It seems that you have your share of communications equipment for use out in the bush! No, I do not have a Ham Radio, nor do I think anyone else will have one on this trip. I will take your advice (and Harry Lewellyns) and move to Ch. 33 for the trip.
Our meeting time will be at 9:30, although I will probably arrive much earlier - due to the fact that my wife will not be attending, I will be able to get a much earlier start!
The meeting place is Cottonwood Visitors Center north of I-10 - about 30 minutes outside of Indio, traveling towards 29 Palms - opposite of Mecca, CA. You'll see the sign on the fwy turnoff leading you to 29 Palms or Mecca.
I would love for Desert Spive to attend again. He and his buddy came out for a 1/2 day run, and seemed to get caught in some nasty trail, causing his friend (w/27" tall rubber) to severely damage a cast aluminum rim on the trail, and a little body damage. Not a good thing, but this goes with the territory! :p
Ray, there may be a couple of guys needing to do a "ride-along" and if you're okay with this, just let me know, otherwise they can hang on in the back of my pickup! :hammer: My cell phone # is (909) 255-1589 and I will have it on until I reach the visitors center. Once you reach the visitors center, there is absolutely no communications outside of Ham and CB inside of the park - kinda scary, but that's the desert for ya!

JT

Ken,

Thanks for the info. I don't know how much room I'll have until I'm done packing... I'll try to leave a back seat open, but I carry my 33" spare inside..... But my next door neighbor, Bob, with a BUILT j**p chickory may be going, and he might need a co-pilot.. his wife, like mine, says it'll be too hot. Bob has been on some of the Serious Expl. runs with Rick and I, (like the Truckhaven Prerun), and he's a kick. I'm trying to convince him to go, and he's interested....just got to check the sched.

Thanks for the info on Radio, and I'll go to CB Ch 33 when I get into the area.

Looking forward to the run:D

Conditional Use Permit

I had a Ranger call me from Joshua Tree NP telling me (on my cell phone!) that I would need a "Conditonal Use Permit" if a large amount of vehicles shows up on this run. I never heard of such mess. Anyway, I told the Ranger no more than 10 vehicles would show up, and we'll be fine w/o this permit. Hey, he doesn't even know what I look like! Good luck, Ranger Rick!

Share a spare?

Ray,

I could share my spare with you if necessary. Its mounted on a spare tire carrier, and we live close enough if you popped a sidewall, I could loan you mine for the week until you could get to your spare. No biggie... Let me know, Kevin really wants to go, and I won't have the room in my single cab Ranger...

Joshua Tree

Ken - this is Debby. Ray called amd wanted me to pass this info on to you. He is currently out on a brush fire. He doesn't know when they will be released, and is concerned that he won't make the trip. He hopes you can find someone else to give your friend a ride. Sorry for this late notice.

Brush Fire Notice

Debbie,

Thanks for the "Heads Up." I will keep this in mind for my friends who want to go, but are without wheels - at least the flotation kind! Hopefully, I will catch up with Ray on the trail another time.

-Ken

Made it!

Ken,

Just to let you know, we made it home just fine, and thanks for a good trip! Too bad we disappointed those Nat Park and BLM Rangers who had their guns and cuffs all ready for the Hundreds of rowdies they thought would show up! :D
They must have people that surf the net looking for announcements of runs! That's why we had an "un-organized un-planned un-official un-run" a couple of years back ;)

Now for the bad news. The smoke was from multiple causes:
1. The motor rear main seal blew, (it had been seeping before).
2. The front pump seal in the trans is leaking.
3. The vacuum modulator valve diaphragm is leaking trans fluid into the eng manifold, causing smoke.
4.The trans bands are burned a bit., and the fluid shows signs of being burned too.
Long story short: $2600.00: It's in the shop getting a new rear main and Ford Factory overhauled Tranny! :(
We're going to improve the trans cooling and install a trans temp guage while were at it. Should be better than new.:cool:

Big Bucks!

Ray,
It's good that you have those big bucks to drop into your rig. My trans went out last summer, and I'm just about finished paying my father off for roughly the same amount of $$ you are about to pay. Your rig looks like it is well worth the overhauled transmission, and you will enjoy many more years of EXploring with it.
My colleague Kevin expresses daily the fun he had with us out in the desert. He jokingly calls me "Desert Outlaw" at work, laughing about the rangers and their obsession they had with implicating me! I guess it's my face!
Well, my wife Suzanne and I are entering our first steps of escrow for our 1st home, and if all works out, I will be able to make the Big Bear run and then move into this new house just a few days later. Take care Ray, and I hope to see you with us in Big Bear!

Back