Detatching wheel hub assembly from steering knuckle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Detatching wheel hub assembly from steering knuckle

Fixer upper 04

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Looking for help with my `04 Exlporer XLT. I have used the "How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS" thread for guidance. This thread has been helpful and I am down to getting the old wheel hub assembly off the steering knuckle. I have shattered two 15mm sockets already trying to loosen the bolts from the back side of the knuckle. Any advice on the right tools for getting these off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use a 6-point socket - may even try an impact socket since these typically have a thicker "wall". Some lubrication for a day or so wouldnt hurt too, or heat.

Appreciate the tips. I tried a short impact socket but it was still too long to fit around the dust cover (on all three bolts). Ended up with a Craftsman universal socket with a 15mm, 6 pt socket on one end, using an 18" cheater bar. This with the help of a combination of brake cleaner and Liquid Wrench penetrating oil made the difference. Some extra time and patience won out over the stubborn bolts! The rest of the job went as expected. Thanks for the feedback.

the bolts are thread locked in. yellow i think.

Wheel Hub

This thread has been helpful and I am down to getting the old Wheel Hub assembly off the steering knuckle.

I agree this thread has been helpful for everyone. People should make sure the wheel hub is functioning well by ensuring that it is connected firmly to the car's chassis. Hope this helps everyone.

did you try a offset box end wrench like in the how to post?

did you try a offset box end wrench like in the how to post?

Offset wrench (Craftsman #44362), half a can of liquid wrench, BFH. Works great!

I agree this thread has been helpful for everyone. People should make sure the wheel hub is functioning well by ensuring that it is connected firmly to the car's chassis. Hope this helps everyone.
Ahaha - imagine if the hub was connected to the chassis instead of the suspension.

Short socket swivel impact and a little MAPP gas worked for me -

K

Back