detriot ez locker?s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

detriot ez locker?s

Reaction score
City, State
WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 2Dr. Sport
is anyone here running the detriot ez locker? im planning on installing a locker shortly and this one seems like my best choice as far as cost $270.00 and easy install and im just looking at all my options considering i spend about 30% of the time off road and here in wv means alot of mud, hills, rocks so i might look at installing a front locker as well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't really know much about this locker. If you have a factory limited slip in the rear..IT WILL NOT WORK. If you have a limited slip in the rear, you have a different carrier and it would need to be swapped for an open carrier. The only "lunchbox" style locker that would work with the limited slip carrier is the Powertrax No-Slip. There are two made, so you'd have to get the one for the limited slip carreir.

If you don't have a limited slip in the rear (they weren't avaialbe in the front from the factory), a good option is from one of our sponsors. Aussie lockers are only $229! That's a good option if you have an open carrier. :)

well i have what ford called the track lock rear with 31 spline shafts which does good on flat ground, sand, light mud and so on, so if i run a aftermarket locker i will have to replace the factory track lock rear with an open carrier, unless i go with the powertrax no-slip, is anyone running this locker? and how about the front dana 35 lockers aussie,detroit thay should just fall right in? thanx for the info

There are quite a few people runnning the Powertrax No-Slip in the rear. From what I've heard, it does pretty nicely on the street. If you went with a locker for an open carrier in the rear, you will have to replace the factory track lock rear with an open carrier...like you said. Unless you know how to set up gears, etc you should have a pro do that. You can get an Aussie locker and the open carrier for yours cheaper than buying a Powertrax No-Slip (cheapest is ~$350). The labor of installing the other carrier if you can't would be the bad part though.

I do know that there are lots of people who run the Powertrax No-Slip and the Loc-Rite in the front. I'm not even sure really what other lockers are made for the front, so I'll let someone else answer that question.

BTW, welcome to the site. :)

I'd get the aussie for the front... $229 cant go wrong :thumbsup:

putting in a full carrier replacement locker is not hard... just swap everyting from the old carrier to the new one and check the backlash when yer done.. the pinion depth cant change.

i havent heard anyone really complain about any detroit locker... they make some nice stuff...

I have an EZ locker up front and I am happy with it. It does great for general trail riding and rocks but it does not do well in the mud. It has suprised me and has done very well in snow. I do have manual hubs however and that is something to consider.

Check the availability of the Aussie for the D35. Last time I checked with them they said that they had none in stock and were redesigning them. I am waiting to but one myself. :thumbsup:

Back