Detroit EZ Locker in daily driver? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Detroit EZ Locker in daily driver?

bamacraig

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac 2wd
I did a search and couldn't find the answers I was looking for. Does anyone have the Detroit EX Locker in their daily driver? If so how is driving on the road and off? I have a 2wd open rear Sport Trac that I am considering getting a Detroit EZ Locker mainly because of ease of installation and price. Any input is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you get what you pay for :)

It will chirp the tires on the street for sure, will take some getting used to, but its not that bad, the long wheelbase of the Sport trac will help....

I have a Detroit EZ Locker in my X and I drive her everyday. I don't chirp the tires much but when it's wet out you'll notice it a whole lot more.

Powertrax in my trac, easy install, street friendly

I have one in my X that I drive every day. I hardly ever hear it but I also changed my driving habits to allow for an automatic locker. I think it has been a great upgrade. I've been quite pleased with it and you can't beat the price.

Would a fully locked front and rear work good on a daily driver? If the front and rear is locked and its snowing, could you use 4wd high w/out any problems? I've heard that if your vehicle is fully locked, it won't turn on the road properly when using 4w high in snow? If so, could you use a fully locked rear and an selectable locker in the front? If you did this, would it turn good in the snow when using 4wd high?

"Fully Locked" means exactly what to you? Are you talking LockRite, NoSlip, EZ Locker, Detroit Locker or Mini-Spool?

That said, I would think you might find the front and rear lockers (I'm planning to install NoSlip lunchbox lockers front & rear in my truck) to be great in the snow. You could always leave one front hub unlocked to avoid the driveline binding you might experience. PowerTrax actually recommends some type of disconnect (either hub or vacuum [1995-96]) for front locker installations.

As a daily driver, you may have to alter your driving habits slightly. This is especially true in the wet where variable traction may cause the rear locker to lock and unlock.

snow and lockers are a... interesting experience to say the least.

you definitely dont want to run in 4wd int eh snow if you have a front locker.

With no differential action in th efront tires you will turn the wheel and proceed to move forward until you hit the gas enough for the front tires to pull you in the direction you wanted to go. Now if you have a Limited Slip or a rear locker while you do that, the rear end will tend to break loose and slide. The rear can slide in either direction though it just depends on how the road is sloped. If you do run a front and rear locker ont eh snow you had best take your time be on your toes ALL the time.

With a rear locker you will just have to adjust your driving style and go easy on teh gas to avoid breaking the rear loose and sliding all over everywhere.

In general if you have to ask about driving in the snow you shouldn't be doing it.

nissanboy said:
If you do run a front and rear locker ont eh snow you had best take your time be on your toes ALL the time.

Yup....tried that in my Jeep for awhile. Almost created some large pile-ups a few times.

Im locked front and rear. This will be my first winter hehe :D

Back