• Register Today It's free!

Did I blow it?

tonerbreth

Reaction score
City, State
La Mesa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer 4x4
My friend and I are in the process of installing a rebuilt M5R1 in my 1991 Explorer. The front U joint bolts (at the transfer case) were very easy to remove; probably too easy. I was able to remove them buy manually holding the drive shaft. The rear U joint bolts (10mm head) were a completely different story! I was able to remove one bolt, only after putting the transfer case in 4L and the emergency brake on. It was a real struggle. While pulling down on the wrench, the transfer case joint rotated about 1/4 turn. Now I cannot move the transfer case shift lever. Plus, when we rotate the rear wheels, the drive shaft does not turn. We think it should.
Did I break something?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

are you removing the old one now or installing the new one? if you are removing the old one you could try rocking the x forward and back while another person trys to shift the tcase.

finally got them off. let them sit overnight after more "loose juice". After over an hour, got the trans shift shaft off..... I'd like to give the engineer a piece of my mind about that design! a tapered flat spot on an eccentric center of a bolt threaded at both ends?

Now I'm stuck on the xfr case shift lever. Do I remove the large bolt in the center of the pivot linkage? the chilton manual is not clear..... says "Remove the shift lever retaining nut and remove the lever. " I hate ASSuming.... is it the large bolt in the center?

Back