Diesel Explorer (Can it be possible?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diesel Explorer (Can it be possible?)

FosgateXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Zeeland Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
My explorer is going to roll over 150,000 miles soon. The engine seems like it could go another 150,000.... it is running so well right now but that could all change.
Has anyone ever put a diesel in an explorer? I am considering doing it but i don't know where i can get ahold of a motor. I would have to put the radiator in a different location and definitely throw a straight axle and some beefy springs in the front to support it. Will a 1994 explorer take a 5.9 cummins under that little hood? I would just put a smaller 4 cylinder diesel in it but i want it to have soem nuts and to sound good. Cummins diesels with an exhaust sound like a semi. If anyone has done this before or knows anything about it that would help me a lot thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To my knowledge it's never been done.... I highly doubt a 5.9 cummins would fint.... Not to mention there would be TONS and TONS of fab work.... My guess is extremely expensive

Sounds interesting. Diesel can be a better 4x4 engine too. But how about the Ford Powerstroke?

And yes I too have never heard of this being done.

well they make deisel explorers in other countries... you might want to find a motor from one of those somehow and use that.

I think a powerstroke would be way too large. My Dad has a 2002 crewcab superduty with a powerstroke and that motor is huge. I was considering a cummins because they are only 5.9 liter and a powerstroke is 7.3 liter...but the cummins is probably considerably longer due to the fact that its an inline 6. I have seen jeeps with small 4 cylinder diesels which i think would be a little easy to fit in my explorer. that is probably the route i will take but it is still runnin good for now.

Originally posted by FosgateXplorer
I have seen jeeps with small 4 cylinder diesels which i think would be a little easy to fit in my explorer.

Something like this?
Dead Link Removed

read about it awhile back on www.pirate4x4.com/forum

yes exactly like that engine...does that engine bolt up to jeep transmissions and transfer cases? if not what kind of tranny does it accept (if you know)...thanks

if you can get it all put together, i would go with the cummins. They are the best they are considered a medium duty motor while the Duramax (chevy) and the powerstroke (ford) are light duty. There is also a TON of stuff that you can get for the cummins. With some cash you can get those cummins over 1000 Ft/Lbs tq. Talk about spinning some tires. I have seen a Dakota with a 5.9 Cummins in it and it was beating Vipers at the drag strip. The possibilities just depend on how much money you have and your imagination.

The 5.9L Cummins is too big and heavy. A 3.9L Cummins (4cyl) should fit but from what I hear they are very expensive. Your best bet would be a Toyota 3B (3.4L 4cyl). They came in Landcruisers, they are compact, fairly light weight and easy to turbocharge.

i read that the new dodge six cylender deisel is the most powerful it has a maximum of 460 hp and torque is 555 try that in your explorer

jason

i have seen down here in south florida a 99 ranger extended cab with a built 5.9 cummin motor with 3 speed trans going 10's at the track. i have been trying to do the same swap or figuing out how to do it but i can never get a chance to talk to the guy in persone. the truck is real nice.

Not very far away!

Ford is coming out with a new V6 diesel within the next couple years. It is already out in test vehicles. It will eventually be available in the explorer, ranger, F150, & expedition. I do not know all the details on it yet. There has been some talk of it at thedieselstop.com - previously ford-diesel.com .

I think I could fit a cummins 5.9 in there...If i put the radiator in the back or somewhere else and put a body lift on it. Some ford vans have powerstrokes and vans are quite tight for space. I have also heard talk about the new ford v6 diesel that is coming out in 2004 or 2005 but thats a new vehicle and i don't want to beat on a brand new SUV..especially because i am sure that diesel opiton will make it a very expensive explorer to buy.
I have seen the race dodge dakota with the cummins in it before too. Gale Banks that makes the Banks power packs owns it/ sponsers it.

Back