• Register Today It's free!

diesel like sound

jonzzie

Reaction score
City, State
Merritt B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6 V8
I've recently purchased an '02 Explorer XLT 4.6l V8 and noticed a strange noise when in gear accelerating. the noise sounds similar to that of a diesel only much quieter. i brought it back to the dealership ( kamloopsford.com ) and they found a "small crack" on the flexplate and replaced it. the noise is still there. it goes away at higher speeds, and while the vehicle is in park or in neutral(even if i rev up the engine) ,only in gear. I'm stumped. some people say that they cant hear it but I DO! anyone else with this concern or any answers, PLEASE REPLY.

Yeah,i got the same or similar symptom,but my eX is much older,it's 94 2 door 5 speed 4x4,so speaking of mine i guess it's more likely because of it's age.However,there's only about 97k miles at the clock.It happens,as an example,while going uphill,or about 40 mph as having a tach below 1500rpms,only when accelerating,like there wouldn't be enough torque for a higher gear.The noise apparently comes from a passenger side.Is your truck automatic or manual?How many miles do you have on it by now?What kind of gas are you using?Does the acceleration by itself feel allright to you other than hearing noise?Does it happen at the cold weather?Or warm days,too?I've read somebody's post here about replacing ignition wires and the person said that it gave the better torque.Maybe a good thing to change spark plugs as well?Myself,as far as i know,any engine would begin dieseling when it needs a good tune up.Also,i read about carbon build up in the intake manifold.At this point,maybe you could just clean it with a spray can or so?

Back