Difference between 4 inch and 5.5 inch suspension. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference between 4 inch and 5.5 inch suspension.

robmurt04

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4WD
Right now I have a Rough Country 4 inch suspension lift (4X4 if it matters). I was wondering what the difference was between that and the 5.5 inch lift. I wanted to upgrade my suspension to something larger but didn't want to fork out the money for a whole new lift, is there any way of just adding on to the 4inch lift? (I'm already doing a 3 inch body so that's out of the question)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Longer lift brackets, taller coil springs and more arch to the rear spring pack.

I put 5.5" springs on my 4" brackets. It worked well, but you may have a difficult time getting the alignment right. It's one of those deals that works for some, but not for others.

For the rear you could add longer shackles to make up for the 1.5".

1.5 inches, duh :rolleyes:

1" thick coilspacers (ones that go under the lower coil seats) and extended rear shackles, and you'll have the extra 1.5" out of your RC lift (shouldn't cost more than $60-70 or so + a frontend alignment) ;)

how much should I extend the rear shackles?

Back