Disable or remove the PATS from a few 04 Ford PCMs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disable or remove the PATS from a few 04 Ford PCMs.

racprops

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6 4WD
Well I am going into the wild Unexplored again.

So it DOES SEEM I have a better chance of finding out about the UFOs that reported crashed in Roswell that decoding the parts numbers of a 03 Ford Explorer’s PCMs to match up a 04 PCM to my 03 PCM.

I need this so my transmission guy can install the newer Solenoid Pack as the correct one for my 5R55S transmission is no longer made, and if the newer Solenoid Pack is used there is a 30% chance of a mismatch between it and my older PCM.

So best the idea is to get an 04 PCM from an Explorer with a 4.6 V8, 5R55s, no info center in dash, and a 3.73 rear end PCMs, disable PATS so I can test it in my truck to see if it will run and drive.

To do these tests I need to disable or remove the PATS from a few 04 Ford PCMs.

There are a bunch of wackadoole ways on the internet on how to do this, I need the cheapest DYI system that really works as I may need to try a few to get the best match.

Anyone done this with any 04/05 Ford PCMs??

This will be important to everyone with a Explorer made before AUG 03 and even wants a GOOD transmission rebuild.

Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you link to the "wackadoole ways on the internet"?

The only two options I'm aware of is to either learn to DIY, or pay someone offering this service, to flash a new "tune" to the PCM that disables PATS, -OR- option #2 is you just program the new ECM to accept your existing keys which is something that some locksmiths can do, or a Ford dealership shop, maybe a few other shops, or to DIY, use Forscan app with its extended license along with an OBD2 dongle.

DIY with Forscan seems to be the more desirable option as it will take less time and money once you get past the prep and learning curve of having Forscan extended license to use. Details are available in Forscan's forum.

^ lol, what? You just gave me a search engine link, to (dozens?) of page hits, not the specific info.

I clicked one, which was just nonsense stating to take the chip out of the key and put in the steering column which doesn't disable pats at all, just defeats the purpose of having it as you still need the chip programmed into the PCM.

Can you provide links to SPECIFIC methods? There was one search hit that looked promising, was what I'd already mentioned, Garret Tuning will flash a new tune that gets rid of pats, but it must be done to every PCM you want to try.

The good thing about PATS, is that the only way to bypass it is to have it flashed out of the computer. I suggest you pick up FORScan, and learn how to add your key to it. This will be the cheapest, and correct way to do this.

^ lol, what? You just gave me a search engine link, to (dozens?) of page hits, not the specific info.

I clicked one, which was just nonsense stating to take the chip out of the key and put in the steering column which doesn't disable pats at all, just defeats the purpose of having it as you still need the chip programmed into the PCM.

Can you provide links to SPECIFIC methods? There was one search hit that looked promising, was what I'd already mentioned, Garret Tuning will flash a new tune that gets rid of pats, but it must be done to every PCM you want to try.

That was/is what I meant about so many "wackadoole ways on the internet" all of them all wacky.

You asked I delivered.

Rich

The good thing about PATS, is that the only way to bypass it is to have it flashed out of the computer. I suggest you pick up FORScan, and learn how to add your key to it. This will be the cheapest, and correct way to do this.
OK I have a old 2019 version and a new version of FORScan.

I will look up how to use it.

I already have a couple of laptops and OBDII connectors.

Wonder how much tuning one can do with it?? If you can do some tuning.

Rich

OF course there is the possibility of getting the matching key WITH the PCM??

Rich

OK Started down the Rabbit Hole: So What can I Do with FORScan on a 03 Ford Explorer??

Can I program in fuel ratio changes??

Other TUNER changes??

Rich

OF course there is the possibility of getting the matching key WITH the PCM??

Rich
Yes, that could work. Pull the chip out of the key that fits the lock cylinder (or try to cover the head with foil to block that chip, so it doesn't confuse the system to read that one stronger since right in the the middle of the receiver halo area) then use that key, but hold the head of the PCM-matched key up next to it for the system to read.

No idea if you can change tuning, I suspect not but this kind of thing would be info better found on Forscan's forum.

You cant change fuel ratio,eeprom data or other tuner capabilities with Forscan diagnostics program.

Forscan able for reading PIDs,livedata and changing as-built charts (manually or other)

Back