Disconnected ABS Module; False Engine Failsafe Mode? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disconnected ABS Module; False Engine Failsafe Mode?

pnwexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Couldn't find much in the forum on this one and it seems a little unique. Strap-in, because this one is a doozey.

MY 2005 Ford Explorer with 188k miles has had its fair share of problem over the years I've had it, but recently it's been taking it to a whole new level. Back in November 2021, it started going into failsafe mode. After a few mechanics tried to get me to replace the throttle body, it was determined from a mechanic I trusted that the wire casing had melted and was shorting to ground, so he stripped it out and replaced it.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, it was running fine until one day the ABS light came on, along with the Check Advance Track message. The brakes started seizing up when I would initially start driving, but after that they would be fine until the next time I started it up. Then it started going into failsafe mode again, but I could usually start it up and drive away with no issues if the failsafe mode didn't come on right away.

Finally, I took it into my mechanic. They said I needed a new, rear-right ABS sensor for the braking problem, and a new throttle body for the limp mode problem. I had them put in a new ABS sensor and I replaced the throttle body myself ( it definitely needed it). NO MORE FAILSAFE MODE! However, the ABS light came back on and the brakes kept seizing as I tried driving off. I took it back in to the mechanic and after a few days they determined that the ABS Module (NAPA part #: UP5617776) was bad and needed to be replaced. Problem is, that it is discontinued and not available ANYWHERE, except maybe eBay.

So they disconnected the ABS module so I wouldn't get that brake seizing. Now, the ABS light and Check Advance Track messages come on as soon as I start the car, but it's drivable. However, now failsafe mode has been coming on again after a few minutes of driving. The drive is a little jerkier, but I can drive almost normally, and up to high speed.

If you've stayed with me for this long, THANK YOU! Now, for my questions...
1. Is failsafe mode coming on because of the disconnected ABS module?
2. Can I still drive it even though it's technically in failsafe mode since it doesn't seem to have much impact on the drivability?
3. Could it be that something else is making it go into failsafe mode again? What?

I appreciate any and all help, I'm losing my mind over it at this point.
Thank you,
pnwexploder

It is difficult to track down what is needed without knowing more about your truck. The following should generally always be posted when asking a question

1. Year
2. Engine (4.0L, 4.6L, 4.0L Flex)
3. Drive train (4WD, AWD, RWD)
4. Trim Level (XLT, XLS, Eddie Bauer, Limited)

It's a good idea to just have this stuff in your signature. If you don't, just remember to post it with your question.

Specifically for questions about ABS, you also need to clarify,

with traction control / without traction control / with stability control

because the ABS uses different part numbers depending on these options.

Do you know if the part you need is the ABS hydraulic valve module (the metal part where the hard brake lines connect), or the ABS control module (the plastic part with the brains)? The listing you posted at NAPA isn't clear on this, possibly because it's out of stock.

I buy parts on ebay all the time. As long as the seller has a good reputation with a large number of sales then I think it is a safe as any other place. Sellers on ebay are very protective of their good reputation and I think they generally go out of their way to make sure you are well taken care of.

LMHmedchem

It is difficult to track down what is needed without knowing more about your truck. The following should generally always be posted when asking a question

1. Year
2. Engine (4.0L, 4.6L, 4.0L Flex)
3. Drive train (4WD, AWD, RWD)
4. Trim Level (XLT, XLS, Eddie Bauer, Limited)

It's a good idea to just have this stuff in your signature. If you don't, just remember to post it with your question.

Specifically for questions about ABS, you also need to clarify,

with traction control / without traction control / with stability control

because the ABS uses different part numbers depending on these options.

Do you know if the part you need is the ABS hydraulic valve module (the metal part where the hard brake lines connect), or the ABS control module (the plastic part with the brains)? The listing you posted at NAPA isn't clear on this, possibly because it's out of stock.

I buy parts on ebay all the time. As long as the seller has a good reputation with a large number of sales then I think it is a safe as any other place. Sellers on ebay are very protective of their good reputation and I think they generally go out of their way to make sure you are well taken care of.

LMHmedchem
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I've got a 2005 4.0L 4WD XLT with traction control.

The part my mechanic said I needed was this one
1649015955458.png

Thanks for the clarification.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I've got a 2005 4.0L 4WD XLT with traction control.
RockAuto lists that Cardone does a return and rebuild service for the ABS control module you need. The service goes about $250 +ship. Cardone is not my first choice for auto parts but you may have limited options. I don't know how long the service takes.

This is another site that advertises return and rebuild in 3-5 days,

UpFix Ford ABS Module Repair

If you are thinking about giving one of these a try, contact the site and make sure they can do the repair on your year, make, and model. Looking for a few reviews wouldn't hurt either.

The Ford part number for your control module is 4L2Z2B373CB. A search on that part number doesn't reveal anywhere that says they have them.

There are some collectives of salvage yards in the southwest (where rust doesn't eat things as fast) where you can request a part and they will look through their network and see if they can find one for you.

Here are a couple,

Arizona Automotive Recyclers Association
Arizona Auto Parts
Salvage-Parts.com

possibly they could help.

LMHmedchem

Back