Do 98-01 to 91-94 Sport Rear Windows Swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do 98-01 to 91-94 Sport Rear Windows Swap?

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
Just curious if anyone else has done or tried this before going ahead with it, even though it's a little far off...

Anyone swapped the three rear windows (tailgate glass, right and left rear, black factory tint) from a 98-01 Sport onto a 91-94 (privacy glass tint)?

The exterior window shapes of the Sport are very close, but I haven't looked at a 98-01 close enough to tell if the studs and holes and the rubber trim are the same on the side windows, and if the rear window either bolts to the old hinges, or the new hinges bolt onto the same location on the liftgate.

Just thinking it would be a nice way to get the darker factory tint on the older rides.

I am trying to do the same thing on my 96' Limited 4dr. I tinted the front windows charcoal, and now I cannot stand the look of the "privacy glass aft of the driver. Anybody tried bolting these up yet?

I believe the size is different and overall the glass has more curve to it. I don't think the hinges would mate up to the glass and if they did I don't think it would have a good seal.

It'd be interesting to see though

Word has it that the rear liftgate glass won't work at all, different curvature.

I think the rear side windows would work if they had the same mounting bolt locations otherwise, but then you'd need to either stick the 98-01 windows into the 91-94 rubber trim or come up with some other way of filling in the body pillar rearward of the rearmost side glass.

I just stuck with the stock glass for now, the original inquiry was because I was replacing the rear glass seals and figured it'd be a good time to swap in 98-01 glass if it fit.

If you're going with tint, you should be able to use some pretty dark black limo tint, even with the privacy glass coating, and get a black or shiny black with silverish hue shade to it. It'd be better to tint the rear windows first, then try and match it with whatever grey/silver/charcoal/black matches up.

Back