Does anyone have their transmission slipping out of gear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone have their transmission slipping out of gear?

kabboroo

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited
I have a 2021 Explorer Limited with :
  • HILL START ASSIST
  • INTELLIGENT 4WD - TERRAIN MANAGEMENT W/ 7 SELECTABLE DRIVE MODES
  • TRANSMISSION - 10-SPEED AUTOMATIC
  • 2.3L ECOBOOST® ENGINE WITH AUTO START-STOP TECHNOLOGY
I have had a few odd issues with the shifting dial not being in the right gear, but recently it got worse. I pulled into a parking lot, parked the car, and started getting out. The car started driving forward. We stopped the car when my passenger reached under to hit the brake pedal. We couldn't put it into gear - any gear - until we used the key fob to "restart" it.

There is the rollaway recall, but I don’t think my transmission “broke” it is still drivable.

I was told by a friend that his Lincoln had a recall for this issue a few years back, but wondering if anyone has heard of the issue with 2021 Explorers?

The shift dial is a terrible design.

1661878388082.png

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you recall if the gear indicator on the dash indicated it was in Park? If you haven't had the software update done, that might be a good step.

Peter

Upvote 0

Sounds like somethings wrong with your car. When you hit the power button to turn the car off, it should automatically go to park no matter if you are in R or D...its kind of a short cut to Park. In the mean time, you may want to turn on auto hold braking and use the ebrake when parked until the dealer can check it out.

Upvote 0

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you recall if the gear indicator on the dash indicated it was in Park? If you haven't had the software update done, that might be a good step.

Peter
My passenger, who stopped the car by hitting the brake pedal with his hand, said he thinks it was in D, but he needed the key fob to move it - had to shift it from D to P and back for it to go.

The dealership updated the software at April service due to other weird electronic issues with lane alert, climate control, dash indicator lights going off/on randomly, etc.

Upvote 0

Back