Does Camber Kit Need Adjustment?

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
I have the eccentric camber kit installed and the allignment done on this one shop. After messing around with the (TT) height, I need another allignment (too much negative camber). Now, I do not want to go back to that same shop 'coz the owner is an a-hole.

My question is once the camber kit have been installed, is it okay for other allignment shops to allign my truck now or does the camber kit need adjustments?

I know some allignment shops do not want to touch a lowered truck for whatever reason but I do not plan on telling them that it is lowered. But I will point out not to touch the TT bolts.

If you read my thread this far, I thank you. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, you will need another alignment, and i dont really know how to answer your other question. any other shop will have no problem aligning it, especially now that the camber kit is installed.

Thanks, BM. James, I figured you would know something about this.

I came back to the same shop and did another allignment. The guy only asked for $40 to do it over, so what the hell.

They couldn't bring it to 0 degree camber despite having the camber kit there. The allignment readout afterward was -1.3 degree off.

This is what the guy said. The camber is all MAXED OUT. It is possible to get it to allign perfectly if they pull the bolts in the upper arm and "trim" it to give it more camber adjustment on the wheel. Is this guy full of it or what he said might just work?

Also, is the reason the camber maxed out is because I am running 1.5" taller tire?

the camber has nothing to do with the tires- unless they're worn down on the inside or outside. if they trim the "pockets" that the cams follow, you could get a bit more camber, but i dont think it would hold for very long. the cams lay tight in the pockets so they wont wallow over time.

I did notice when I changed my stock 235/75-15 tires to 265/70-15 there was negative camber there. So, why do you think the camber is maxing out with -1.3 camber? My truck is only lowered 2.25".

every explorer is different. most usually max out on camber adjustment somewere around a 2" drop. the tires had nothing to do with it; maybe you just noticed it more after the tire swap.

you can run up to -1 degree without really worrying about tire wear. -1.3 isnt that much more.

I keep seeing a referrence to and eccentric bolt/camber kit. Did a search but nothing came up with what it means. Little help from someone? thanks.

Back