Camber Kit?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
If I am going to have a professional align my X do I need to buy the camber kit and bring it with me?

Just heard about it briefly when I had an alignment about six months back and the tech wrote in the comments section "need camber kit".

Some say it is not necessary but if I wanted to use it, what is the basic method? Apparently the tire shops don't stock the kit for the Explorers.

Can someone please shed some light on this? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Lazz!

The answer to your question depends on the type of control arm you have. If you have the one-piece control arms, then you need to check and see what type of large washers are on the mounting bolts. If the washers on the mounting bolts are oblong circles with a square hole for a 3/8" ratchet to fit into and turn, then they can be adjusted.

If, however, the mounting bolts are sort of rectangular, only with angled top corners, then they are not adjustable and need to be replaced with a camber kit. The only reason this type of washer would be there is if the vehicle originally had a two-piece control arm where the adjustment was made within the body of the control arm itself.

And then, of course, if you have the two-piece control arm, then you do not need a camber kit as the adjustments are made on the arm itself.

Hope this helps!

Jeremy
'97 Eddie Bauer 4.0L SOHC

Thanks, I just need to figure out which I have.

My truck is a 1998 Sport with new control arms put in by the Ford dealer when the upper and lower ball joints where replaced.

Cool, once they are in do I ever need to order them again?

My front tires did seem to be toed in way to much for some odd reason, guess I know why now.

Mucho help :chug:

save some money and install them yourself right before you get an alignment.
you'll need some big wrenches and sockets, but it shouldn't take more than an hour.

Back