Does the 2008 Factory radio fit a 2003? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the 2008 Factory radio fit a 2003?

OoMesKoO

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Does anyone know if the 2008 radio is a direct fit and plug in to a 2003 model?

I like that it plays MP3 cds, and I really dont need much more than that at this time...

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!
I bought an '06-'07 HU to use on my '02, it wasn't plug & play, I had to buy a reverse harness to install it
But yes it is a nice feature that it plays MP3 and that it is stock so less temptation for thieves

cool! I ofter wondered this... I thought the radio in the 06+ was a taller radio
I figured Id have to cut the top of the vents to fit it

So it will bolt in the same?
Where did you get a reverse harnes? Somewhere like Crutchfield?

It is the same size, didn't have to modify anything, mine has the 2 screws on the bottom, not the side clips.

You can buy a harness for your truck, then a reverse harness for the stereo and solder them together, that will make it plug and play (I didn't go this way, I rewired everything got new speakers amp and sub)

The harness you can get @ ebay

$850 seems a bit too much, I think you'd need the antenna
Why not go aftermaket?

I like the factory look, having a change mounts and trim isn't as nice.
My 96 has an aftermarket.. sounds great but just doesn't look factory.

I'll have to pull the trip off my 04 to see the radio mounts... then maybe I'll go shopping.
Would be nice to have mp3 :D

This is the one I got @ ebay for US$100:
DSCF0373.jpg

It plays MP3s, has also aux in and SAT (haven't gotten the modules for these 2 options) It has manuf date of 40/'06 so it's either for an '06 or an '07 not sure

^^^that's the 04-06 navigator radio, not the 06+ radio

It says it works right? so what if it wasn't offered hehe I don't that will matter :p it didn't matter to me when I put the above one (which btw said it came off of an explorer, and the harness I got was for a ford explorer, also at the jy they had one exactly like mine on an explorer)

It says it works right? so what if it wasn't offered hehe I don't that will matter :p it didn't matter to me when I put the above one (which btw said it came off of an explorer, and the harness I got was for a ford explorer, also at the jy they had one exactly like mine on an explorer)

I never said it WOULDNT work, because iirc all ford radios use the same harness if they're from the same years.

But in 2nd gens people often ran into issues with subs/steering wheel controls with HU's that weren't really meant for an Ex.

Back