Does the 302 bottom end need to be replaced? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the 302 bottom end need to be replaced?

volver

Reaction score
City, State
Milan, IL Quad City area
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT AWD
5.0 liter engine with centrifgul supercharger, intake spacers, compcam, gt40p heads, stock pistons, stock connecting rods, stock crank, stock crank bearings, torque monster headers, catback exaust, tuned.

How will the stock bottom end hold up. I have heard the the 302 bottom is rock solid. My engine has 175,000 miles. Have the crank bearings worn out. What is the condition of my piston and cylinder walls. What about crank to piston connections.

I would like to build up my engine for a cheap as possible and in the correct order if i need to pull the engine to add new crank and new pistons and rods, then i would like to save my money and do all the mods at the same time. It would be alot easyer to put on torque monster headers if the enging was pulled.

Does any one have any other suggestions to boost power significantly.

Anytime you boost an engine with that many miles, you are asking for trouble...regardless of how much pressure. I would put a new forged engine together. Forged crank, rods, and pistons. If you are going to boost it, I would run no more than 9:1 compression...and more likely 8.5:1. Then increase the boost. There are some outstanding companies out there such as Coast High Performance that will sell you a high quality short block or long block built specifically for boosted applications for an amazingly small amount of money for what you get. Also, if you like doing your own work and don't mind paying the machine shop...or if you have access to a machine shop for your own use...then the same companies will sell you just the parts. Also, Summit sells some high quality kits.

Back