Does the 4.0 v6 have a cam phaser? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the 4.0 v6 have a cam phaser?

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
Okay I feel like this is a stupid question and I might’ve been on a wild goose chase and maybe someone can help me out. I’m getting ready to do the timing job on my 4.0 v6. A while back I was short on time and was willing to pay a shop to get it done. The shop I called was asking me about the time components I bought and also asked me if I purchased a new cam phaser. Cam phaser wasn’t a term I was familiar with but after some research I realized he was talking about a variable valve timing sprocket. I purchased the full Cloyes 4x4 timing kit that replaces many sprockets and all the chains. On my spare 4.0 engine I didn’t see what I thought was to be a cam phaser. When I do a google search I pull up info left and right about cam phasers in regards to the ford 4.6 and 5.4 v8’s but nothing to do with the 4.0 v6. To further confuse me, rockauto has a section for a VVT sprocket with one for sale for the 07 explorer 4.0. So my question is, does this engine actually have a cam phaser!?!? I don’t want to do all the work and not replace a crucial part like that. I know that on the 4.6 and 5.4 you’re wasting your time if you do the time but don’t replace the cam phaser. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Btw, the shop didn’t want to do the job because it was to much work lol. Thanks!

Okay I feel like this is a stupid question and I might’ve been on a wild goose chase and maybe someone can help me out. I’m getting ready to do the timing job on my 4.0 v6. A while back I was short on time and was willing to pay a shop to get it done. The shop I called was asking me about the time components I bought and also asked me if I purchased a new cam phaser. Cam phaser wasn’t a term I was familiar with but after some research I realized he was talking about a variable valve timing sprocket. I purchased the full Cloyes 4x4 timing kit that replaces many sprockets and all the chains. On my spare 4.0 engine I didn’t see what I thought was to be a cam phaser. When I do a google search I pull up info left and right about cam phasers in regards to the ford 4.6 and 5.4 v8’s but nothing to do with the 4.0 v6. To further confuse me, rockauto has a section for a VVT sprocket with one for sale for the 07 explorer 4.0. So my question is, does this engine actually have a cam phaser!?!? I don’t want to do all the work and not replace a crucial part like that. I know that on the 4.6 and 5.4 you’re wasting your time if you do the time but don’t replace the cam phaser. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Btw, the shop didn’t want to do the job because it was to much work lol. Thanks!
no sir afaik it did not

Back