• Register Today It's free!

Does the intake leak oil???

mepot101

Reaction score
City, State
Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
2003 Explorer sport trac, just replaced the valve cover gaskets and still have an engine oil leak.
I am wondering if the intake gaskets will leak oil??? 119000 miles, the vc gaskets were rock hard, the leak seems to be on the passenger side.
The pcv valve fits snug, it is dry.
A quick thanks to the forum, I am a truck mechanic, ( 18 wheelers), cars are a different story. I don't have enough bends in my elbows to work on cars regularly!

No oil should come from the intake manifold.
Three different options come to mind for a passenger side oil leak from the upper passenger side area of the engine... (I’m assuming you know it’s not oil pan upper/lower or rear main)
1. Oil filter adaptor has some o-rings that can go bad
2. I’ve heard of leaks coming from the rear timing chain tensioner bolt.
3. Did you change the seal rings on the valve covers when you did the main valve cover seals?

If it were me, I’d clean up the whole area and then start watching for where the leak is coming from. You may want to remove the passenger side inner fender cover/flap thing to make inspecting that area easier through the wheel opening. You can see the area pretty well from below the engine too IIRC.

This is a 4.0 v6.

Replaced the grommets on the bolts also, came with the gaskets.
My driveway is slanted pretty good, alot of oil leaks when parked on the slope.
May be a puddle under the intake that just needs to finish draining. Its so hard to see the rear of the engine. Thats why
I like trucks, most are much easier to work on/around the engine area.

Went ahead and removed the intake, figured I wanted to replace the gaskets/orings any ways.
Cleaned the puddle of oil and dirt from the valley. Brake cleaned the entire bottom of the engine,
the rear crank seal is the culprit. Worst case scenario. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH.:banghead:

Back