Does this sound right for a V6 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does this sound right for a V6 explorer

sunil6784

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Hi guys,

Looks like a lot of good info on this site...I just started driving a 94 explorer with a V6 as my daily driver. I also have a 92 mustang that is my toy. There seems to be no power in my explorer. When I am on the highway I almost have to floor it to pass someone. I have changed the plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil. Today I am going to change the rear end fluid, not really for the power, but just because I am not sure if it has ever been done (88,000 miles). I have also cleaned my MAF because I was getting a code 157. So far I have not got that code again... Anything else to check? BTW, I'm getting around 15 mpg with 50/50 driving.

Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All sounds normal to me. Its a rather heavy brute and the V6 does not develop as much power as one would think especially if you have a tang for a toy.

If you really want to dig into it, do a compression check to make sure all cylinders are close to each other.

What tire size? stock 235's, 31's or bigger? What axle code do you have? It's on the door jam sticker under axle. If you have a low one like 3.08 or 3.27(most likely) the X is a dog. It is even more so with tires bigger then stock.

I'm pretty sure they are the 235's, door code 41, so the 3.27 open diff rear end? Also,does that gas mileage seem right?

If it's 3.27 then that's the reason right there, that's pretty high gearing. I personally wouldn't go any higher gearing than 3.55 and that's pushing it a little. That's what I've had in mine and in my opinion it's on the edge of being to high. I would personally not want to go lower than 3.73.

sunil6784 said:
I'm pretty sure they are the 235's, door code 41, so the 3.27 open diff rear end? Also,does that gas mileage seem right?

Yes the mileage seems right on for a mix of city/highway. And so does the power/get up and go. You have 3.27 gearing. It will be very doggy compared to your 5.0 Mustang.

i know the feeling you're feeling, i started drive my exploder after driving the 65 mustang...i'll tell you, they definatly don't have as much pick up as you would think, but they will hold there own. i am running 31" tires and i'll it is probably slower than yours. I get about 15 mpg also, sometimes 16 if i take it easy

Your combined mileage is slightly low based on the government estimate of 17 for the 1994 (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/9572.shtml). However, being an older truck and depending on how you drive, 15 is not out of line. It's about what I get with my 1992.

sounds exactly right... I could never break 14mpg with a mix, with a 1994 5 speed. At the time I thought it had balls, and since theN I now own a 1997 mustang GT... the explorer did feel slower by comparison, by a lot.....

it's a large truck with a just powerful enough engine...

just slap a supercharger on there, some nos, 4.11 gears, ...... haha j/k

have a great one

sounds like it's doin all right, but yeah check the compression, but these engines take 300k miles, so you are at 88 you are doin fine

I feel your pain. My 96 TA puts over 300 lbs/tq to the ground and 291 hp to the wheels. When I get in the explorer it seems to take a whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiile to get going.

hehe... performance sports coups are going to have noticiably more pep than a large SUV...

George

the explorer weighs twice as much and probably has at 25% less power than your mustang. on top of that it is about as aerodynamic as a cinderblock. its going to feel pretty slow compared to just about anything else.

My '92 XL 4 door 4x2 manual with a 3.27 open seems pretty quick compared to my Limited (auto, 4x4, 3.73s) though the XL is certainly lighter.

The power output is a lot nicer with a stick, if you can drive one.

I get an average of 19 mpg with my 92 XLT. Stock tire size, 3.27 gears and the manual transmission.

You may be able to improve mileage by cleaning the fuel injectors with Chevron Techron or Seafoam added to the fuel.

Bob

I have a 92 XLT 4X4. I get about 15 when I drive 50/50. Stictly highway, I get about 20, doing 75mph.

Back