doesn't want to start when it's cold. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

doesn't want to start when it's cold.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ford explorer
Hi guys. I have a 91 explorer that doesn't want to start in the morning. Once it finally starts it's fine the rest of the day. Just changed the starter solenoid, starter, ignition module last weekend. Not sure what is going on. I'm a single father and this is my only means to get them to school. Please help.would a magnetic block heater help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of no start/hard start is this: the kind where the starter doesn't seem able to turn the motor over (like it maybe has a bad battery), or the kind where the starter is doing fine, but the engine just won't run.

Cranks just fine. Just like it's waiting something to warm up and once it does start, no problems the test of the day.

Sorry rest of the day. When it starts, no misses no problems. Runs like it has 17,000 miles. Not 177,000. That's what is confusing. Think it has to be a sensor?

I'd like to see what the fuel pressure is while cranking, and also test for spark. Also, maybe just turn the key on and leave it for 5 minutes, then try to start. There are a few paths to go down, this should help pick the best one. You may be able to rent the fuel pressure gauge if funds are an issue.

fuel pressure is good, no spark, won't start at all now. When I did the tune up I changed everything but the wires. Plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil with 5w30. The wires are only a year old and they were lifetime warranty. I try not to buy the cheap parts.

Good fuel pressure but no spark suggests something in the ignition system.

First thing I'd probably do is pull codes and see if there is any useful information in the comptuer's memory. Then check for power and ground to the ICM and the coil pack.

We changed the crankshaft position sensor and it starts but is very hard to start so we also changed the fuel pressure regulator. Same problem. Acts like timing is off but once it it starts it runs great. Coil pack? Pulls no codes other than air temp sensor

Just to give an update it ended up being the ignition module. Runs good again. Thanks for your help.

Since diagnosis can be most of the battle, how did you determine the ICM was at fault? guess and check, or was there some test that you did that told you the ICM was bad?

Back