PitCrew

Reaction score
City, State
Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hello,

The explorer with the issue is an Australian Explorer XLT 1998 Auto SOHC

Problem first appeared as hot air coming from the dash vent only with no other directional flow able to select. Obviously check for a vacume leak, this is where the mystery begins.

Basically found an extra hose connection on one side of the engine bay and another one one the other side of the engine bay. Can't see where they connect to? Unless they connect together (unlikely), this would mean something has fallen off.

I will try and explain what I have found and have taken lots of pics that are labelled. Also if possible can someone please identify the 3 ? parts as Im having a dispute with someone on what they are and do.

Part 1
DSCF4399.jpg

Part 2
DSCF4397.jpg

Part 3
DSCF4393.jpg

Picture of the engine bay showing the position of parts 1 to 3, also inicates the location of the 2 extra hose connecors.
EngineBayLabels.jpg

Under the air filter box, near the vacume tank I found a thin vacume hose which is disconnected. I have searched around and can't find a spot that it connects too. The vacume tank has 2 hoses which are connected to it.
AirFilterBox.jpg

Next to the air con box I also found a small black hose which wasn't connected and again can't see any spot it connects too. This black hose connects from a splitter, the hose next to the disconnected black hose is a connected (to th air con box) silver hose. Also in this area is a thick hose which is also connected to the aircon box, the other end of this hose connects to the vacume tank under the air filter box.
AirConBox.jpg

Better picture of the splitter and hoses
Splitter.jpg

If someone could please let me know where these hoses connect to and is something (hose/connector) missing from the engine bay , it would be most appreciated.
I have tried the Australian forum for Explorers with no luck. So I will keep investigating and will continue to try and get the workshop manual (a complete issue on its own).

Thank you for your time
Richard (PitCrew)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

g'day
Can't help with the hoses at the moment but give me 18hrs and i'll take a look at my UK spec ex and take some photos and hopefully it might help.
As to the 3 parts
1) this is pressure regulator on fuel rail
2) This is vac controlled valve on the plenum chamber to increase the internal volume at 3k revs and above.
3) EGR valve

Edit: just remember reading a post by blueka about the vent controls being connected to the vacuum hoses and the tank, but i've not had these issues so will need to investigate for you.

Thank you Janolsson,

Some pics of the set up would be great, I hope you dont have a phantom hose too.

Thank you for identifying those parts for me too.

Much appreciated
PitCrew

Sorry pitcrew
didn get a chance to play with the car today as i had other chores.
I will definately do it for you tommorrow

Not a problem, chores always trump playing with cars (unfortunatly)
Thank you

Where in W.A. are you? You can come and look at my 98 SOHC if you're close to Nollamara.
I will have a look for you later when the sun comes up.(1:00 am at the moment)
I'll try and post some answers for you, save you the trip.

pitcrew
sorry work is stupid busy at the mo and at the same time i'm training for my lorry licence so i won't be able to get under my truck til the weekend.

Mcslug
ah perth. spent a lovely 3 weeks in cottesloe with weekend trips to margret river and yanichep (?) and somewhere else i don't remember It was some 12 years ago. I saw an outdoor performance of Romeo and juliet in (is it?) Kings Park. One day i went for an early morning swim and was greeted by a wild dolphin calf. You guys are so welcoming and hospitable. Good times.
Regards

Is this the answer?

Ok so i got a chance to have a look
This first pick shows two line out of the reservoir under the air box
vac%20reservoir.JPG

This next image shows the two lines at the RH side against the frame and note a connection. Also is a third line that comes from the aircon box behind the engine round to the heater valve tucked under there out of sight.
vac%20hose%20connections.JPG

One of the 2 lines out of the reservoir goes around the back of the engine to the AC box and the other just runs upto the red vac line on top of the RH valve cover as shown below
rd%20vac%20hose%20on%20rocker.JPG

Hope this helps
Regards

2000StreetRod,
Thank you for your suggestion, will check out the vacuum actuated water control valve.

McSlug,
Might take you up on that offer if I can't work this out. Will be a bit of a drive as Im in Toodyay, if you do get the chance to take a pic that would be great.

Janolsson,
Great pic of the vacume tank, as suspected it only has 2 lines. And the 3rd mystery line is suppose to be by the airbox as clearly seen in pic.

Thank you all I do appreciate all you have done. I did start having a greater inspection under the explorer but found a few redback nests which have now been spayed. Will check out all these suggestions on the weekend, so fingers crossed I can sort it out. When I've fixed the issue I will post the corrected pics and give a description.
Thanks
PitCrew

I'm thinkin that line is the same as my grey one in photo 2 of my post.
This connects to the heater valve which is just forward of your exhaust manifold. ie in your photo 5 look at 12 o'clock and keep going up past the photo and you find it tucked under there.

Almost fixed !

Progress, removed all the covers around the wheels and engine bay, followed every vacume hose and made a diagram. While doing this I noticed the larger vacume hose from the vacume tank which goes under the airbox, had touched the exhaust pipe or something else hot just behind the motor. A small bit of the hose had crimped shut. Replaced this and now have multi directional airflow. But it is still hot so will look at the blend door more carefully.

Not sure if this problem is a coinsidence or part of the heater problem but the explorer is drawing too much amps when off (450mA), so not to cook the battery disconnecting when off.

So my next job is to pull fuses and to check out the blend door.

Thank you for all your pics and suggestions. While the covers were off I took better pics of the vacume hoses, as I still can't figure out the extra hose. If i ever find out I will post the answer.

Picture of under the aircon box, only 2 hoses go into the glove box area, the larger hose from the vacume tank connects to a smaller black hose, next to the grey hose.
DSCF4493.jpg

Picture of the extra hose, looks identical (same 90degree bend), to the other hose going into the vacume tank. The other end of the disconnected hose goes near the aircon box but also isn't connected (see other pics), so not too concerned about it but would like to know why?
DSCF4514.jpg

Picture of vacume tank with smaller hose and larger hose connected to it. the larger hose was the one blocked preventing the airflow to be adjusted.
DSCF4500.jpg

Good to see your getting somewhere.

Keep us posted on the blend door fix. I don't have that issue yet (touch wood)
but I'll be interested in your approach and result.

Do you have any other issues with your engine? Like rough idle syndrome or timing chain death rattle. If so I can help you with that. I have the OTC 6488 timing tools if you need them.

If you have other engine related issues and want to problem solve by way of elimination. I have a complete spare engine from flex plate to air filter. It's mostly stripped. You can test any part you like to save you buying any unnecessary parts.

Back