Door Ajar Light Won't Go Off | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar Light Won't Go Off

I found this posting this past week and been having this same problem on my 99 Explorer. Used PB Blaster on all the door hinges. Now its showing as closed on all the doors. Thanks for the help.

i think you mean PB Blaster on the latches (not hinges). at any rate, i'm glad it seems to have fixed the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, I tried the PB Blaster. (That's good to do anyway) With the engine off the dome and side mirror lights on my 2002 Explorer do not shut off. With the engine on, the dome still does not shut off. Opening the doors does *not* chime so I don't know which sensor might be affected or if there might be something else going on.

This just started to happen on my used 2010 Explorer XLT (bought it June 2016). I've WD'd all the hinges and latches. Center dome light still on. Will see if it's on tonight and then in the morning. The only thing that preceded this was that sometimes the tailgate window wouldn't latch correctly and remain open. As soon as I started the vehicle and got the warning message I would close it securely and all was well. Now the warning message stays on and the door ajar light stays lit. My only concern is the battery draining but the dome light is a tiny bulb so it should last thru the night. If the light is still on and message still displays tomorrow I'll take it to the shop. I have no time to DIY this crap.

There is also a timer that cuts off after several minutes which kills the power windows and dome lights, so you have to rely on the "Door Ajar" light. I did the "drown it with WD-40" trick and it was the rear hatch switch.

I did the WD40 flood on all door latches. It worked for a day. Tried it again but lights (internal and external puddle lights) stayed on. Had to remove battery cable so I could sleep easy. Bit the bullet and took it to a friend's shop. Turned out to be the liftgate latch itself with the sensor (not just the sensor). Got a 15% discount but still cost $200, mostly for labor. Glad to pay it as it would've taken me weeks to narrow it down, order the right parts and replace myself, and I wasn't about to spend all that time removing the battery cable every time I had to park it for a few hours or more. And my friend gets to put food on his family's table. Win-Win!!

Back