• Register Today It's free!

Door Locks and Dome Light Problem

DBray6

Reaction score
City, State
Holiday, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac
I have a 97 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC. Both of my problems seem to have started at the same time. Last week a friend at work called to tell me my dome light was on. I went out to check and they would not turn off unless I started my truck and then they would stay on longer than normal. I ended up taking all the dome lights out and went back to work. I came home and searched the forums here and found something about the door switches being dirty so I went out and soaked them and put the dome lights back in. I noticed that if I locked the door with the button on the door the dome light would stay on but if I lock it with the key fob they would go out.

This is where it gets wierd. Sometimes the dome light flashes once quick and goes out, other times it goes right out, and still other times it stays on and I have to press the lock button on the fob again to hear the truck beep and the dome light goes out.

Also, twice since this started the fob wouldn't unlock the doors and I had to use the key to unlock. I am half suspecting a battery issue on that one and am replacing that tomorrow. I am suspecting my problems of either being the module in the rear quarter that I cant remember the name right now that controls door locks and alarm system. (no problems with the alarm by the way) Or suspecting door lock relay that I have no idea where it is and help on a location would be great!

I am planning a trip to the local pull a part this weekend. I have to leave for work at 4am and a dead battery at that time of day would be horrible. Thanks in advance for any help. I have become addicted to these forums and am always looking here at different problems and ways to improve my ex.

Problem could be cause by the GEM module or inputs there to. It "senses" stuff and activates a couple of relays turn on lights.... I assume your door panel lights are also on.
Or it could be a bad battery saver relay. As to why it might affect your unlocks.... not sure but the RAP / PATS modules are also "sensed" by the GEM .... but I do believe the modules themselve activate the unlock relay.

Thanks for the reply. What are RAPS/GEMS etc. Sorry but I am not real clear on the acronyms....... :confused:

I had to cut the yellow wire to the door ajar sensor (there might be 2 there) and pull the insulation over the ends on my '97 xp sprt....U have to take the door panel off...The dash will say door ajar...but the dome light will work on timer only whether door is open or not....The problem is a switch in the locking area jammed on......I will try and fix mine...Will be back and let u know.

Back