• Register Today It's free!

Dome light problem

steph8

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4dr 4wd
I recently notice when I open the driver’s door that the dome light is not turning on unlike all other doors:mad: . My first guess it that there is a switch not working around the driver door, unfortunately I cannot identify the switch if there is one visually observable. Can someone explain me what triggers the dome light to turn on when the door is open? I will check if the door ajar light on the dash works when the door is opened.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The light switch is internal to the latch assembly. When the door latch fully closes, the switch is activated. I would try spraying electrical parts cleaner, or maybe wd-40 into the latch. It may clean the switch enough to bring it back to life.

I sprayed the latch with WD-40 and I cycle the door and the door lock but the doom light does not light up when the driver door is open.
In addition, the “door ajar” dash warning does not work when the door is open.

What else can I do should I disassemble the door to check the wiring and replace the latch?

If the other doors work and the "door ajar" light turns on that means the problem isn't your fuse but the lach or the wire running to it. If possible try to pass ressistence in the wire with a voltmeter. Then try passing a ressitence in the lach "sensor or relay", if no current is passing that mean the circut is open and need to be replace. Keep in mind i'm not a proffesional so if anybody else has a comment to add...go ahead. If it does work, let me know.

Ps i'm try to put a switch to turn off all my doom light when i open a door but can't bypass the fuse with a switch because my 4X4 system is hook up to it. Does anyone have a idea

I am not sure I understand your problem about the switch to "bypass the fuse" "cause my 4X4 system is hook up to it".... you 4X4 with your doors open???? :) .... why are you trying to bypass the fuse?

The problem is most likely wiring related I am now assuming. There is an open in the circuit, or, the switch itself is broken. I would take a look see inside door panel--maybe the switch came unplugged? Wire broken?

I do not think my problem is electric (resistance or fuse) because all the doors trigger the doom light and the “door ajar” warning except the driver’s door. For that reason, I think that the problem is with the switch, which is built in the latch.

Does anyone have tips or a thread on how to remove the door panel to check the wires and connections?

Here is a thread I remembered--

could be a similar problem??http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171018

The panel is pretty easy to remove. There is a small plastic piece behind door handle that pops out, then it pretty much pulls off. You might use a panel pulling tool, or a strong putty knife to avoid breaking the plastic retainer pins.

Sorry guy if i confused you but... my dimmer switch can't be use to turn off totaly my doom light so that when i open a door, the light will not come on. I wanted to put a switch before the fuse to turn off the light totaly but when a pulled out the fuse to check my idea i notice that my 4X4 system does't work. What i'm asking, is there a way to shut all my doom light when i open a door. If i'm still confusing people, never mind all ask my mechanic neek week

Sorry guy if i confused you but... my dimmer switch can't be use to turn off totaly my doom light so that when i open a door, the light will not come on. I wanted to put a switch before the fuse to turn off the light totaly but when a pulled out the fuse to check my idea i notice that my 4X4 system does't work. What i'm asking, is there a way to shut all my doom light when i open a door. If i'm still confusing people, never mind all ask my mechanic neek week

Why will the dimmer switch not turn them off completely--it should.

on some vehicule the dimmer switch does shut off the light.... Can explorer be adapted to do the same.

Back