Double checking before installing a radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Double checking before installing a radio

PRican25

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 2DR
Hi,

I've done a few radio installs on mazda and chevys but this would be my first ford to work on and I wanted to make sure I got the right stuff and info for a 96' 2-DR Explorer Sport.

It's got the JBL/Ford radio which should mean its got the amp/subwoofer in the back and to make sure I am getting the right harness as from the looks from the back of the radio that Metra 70-5600 harness should be correct? the antenna is where I'm not sure as to go by as from searching in the forum I know its at the amp but how long does the extension cable for the antenna need to be for it to reach the dash or is there another method to it?

also would a bypass cable be really needed for a radio that does 22Wattsx4 RMS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on how you wanna do it. I believe Metra also makes a bypass kit. But I don't know if it still runs the factory sub. There are two factory amps, one for the front & rear speakers, and one for the sub. Your local stereo shop should have the antenna extension. This is what Crutchfield.com has:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f8Yr0S6akeh/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=12044EC120

Thanks for helping, I grabbed the metra bypass harness as you mentioned and the antenna adapter so now I just need the antenna extension cable and I should be set to get it installed.

Ok, I got the radio in and replaced to speakers and all is good except now I can't get any good reception from the antenna :mad: I did notice lately before removing the stock radio that stations were going in and out so I'm guessing the tuner in the rear is dead but not sure if that would still apply to the new radio (pioneer deh-1900mp).

any ideas on how to go about this?

I just installed a new Pioneer HU in my 95 Eddie Bauer. I used the 70-5601 Metra harness. It has the antenna cable included in the harness. The only problem with that harness is that the power harness didn't match up to the factory. Had to buy one from Walmart

Back