Doubler Questions

zhanx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
OK i swapped in a manual t-case. no problem.

Need to replace the gas tank - no problem i'll use a sport tank

Doubler after all if i use a sport tank then i have room for one. Problem : Every doubler i have since is a manual first case and an auto second case.

So it brngs me to my question Can i use a manual transfer for both cases? I know i have to use a 1350 for the front case no biggie on that. Or is it make your own linkage for the second case?

Its either this or get my lightning repainted not sure so i am asking questions. I can do the doubler (my last one was on an electric case for the rear or no linkage issue).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd liked to know about this too. I just recently recieved a mechanical 1350 (Just got home from ripping out my M5OD and 1350 for my swap, just lost my A4LD) and I have an electric 1354.. If those are the parts needed for the doubler setup, what else do you need to do? I havent heard much in the ways of a doubler setup with the BW t cases.. Is there an adapter needed to mount them together?

there are what ummm three kits up for us.. the Double the -D&D kit, and the Stubler, and another but its like a homegrown kit.

"Basicly" you need to cut the case of the front case to be used.. Change the input shaft of the rear case to go into the front case. <- that is the basic "how to"

There are a few kits loooking for 1354 and stubler will find you one, or Doubler a few more.
The new spline bewteen cases has to be custom made to fit. etc. a little bit of work. easier with an auto rear case i guess. A manual front case is a must. Still doin the research on this for the x and ranger base apps.

If you want info on the stubler, look here http://www.4-x-fab.com/Stubler_info.php

You can use a manual shift case for the "normal" case if you reindex the shift arm and use a cable or other fabricated linkage to shift it. It would not be that hard to do.

You can use a 1350 or a 1354 as the second case.

I am the one making the stublers, and I know about the D&D kits, but what is the other one you mentioned? Have a link? I like to know what else is out there :D

sorry the thrid kit isnt a kit, i misphrased that.It was a how to do it yourself thing without a kit.

I was planning on doing the stubler in a while. But was conecerned out the linkage. crap like that I never get right for some reason. And i didnt want to go back to an auto case.

I onlysaw you example of the install it was with an auto case. After looking at the pictures it look like it would be right tight to do linkage on that so i thought maybe it had to be an autocase.

There is room on the side of the stubler's 1" thick plate to mount a cable to shift the second case. A B&M shifter cable with a simple lever is all it would take to do it that way. That, and as I said, reindexing the shift arm to a more vertical position.

I have one guy that has one that was going to use that plan last I heard. If I get some pics of that set up, I'll let you know. Not sure how soon he plans to install it.

will installing the stubler cause stress on the driveshaft, axles and differncials that you normaly would not have if you just did gears alone? It would be nice to have the best of both worlds, but I would be afraid of premature breakage of other components from the added torque. Would this be a problem or not?

Good question Josh, and yes, it will. It multiplies the torque coming from the engine/trans.
As far as it being a "problem", it depends on how you use it. Just like any other "power addition" such as a V-8 or a blower or NO2, it puts more power to the tires. Use it smart and it will last a long time, beat it like a redheaded step child, and it is doomed. :eek:

Back